Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Guido Goetz Medals Arrived Today

Although Guido's artistic talents could never hold a candle to his fathers work I nonetheless was intrigued by the childlike simplicity of these two WWII medals. Their rarity attracted me too with both estimated at <20 pieces each. You would be hard pressed to find any large medals being produced during WWII with these two being among the small and elite number of those produced.

Sinking of the Courageous by U-Boat 29, 1939, Cast Iron, 70.5mm, RARE. Obverse, Neptune holds ship, Reverse, Skeleton (Death) in water

Sinking of the Athenia by U-boat 30, 1939, Cast Iron, 69mm., RARE. Obverse Churchill sits on the "infernal machine" and holds scales, Reverse, Skeleton (Death) sits on ships bow holding torch and bomb.

Comments

• Options
    Cast Iron?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    The fruit doesn't fall too far from the tree. The influence of his father is evident in these works without the detail. Cast iron seems like an unusual medium for making an art statement in metal. Was his father still alive and working when the son was doing this?
    Shep
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Shep, the apple doesn't seem to have fallen far from the tree. I like the designs, even if they aren't as allegorical as his father's work.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Yes, cast iron....

Karl used cast iron throughout his career when it became necessary and I think, in this case, Guido used cast iron because all other resources were going to the "war machine".
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Nice medals, Cacheman! I especially like the depiction of Aethelred on the reverse.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>Nice medals, Cacheman! I especially like the depiction of Aethelred on the reverse. >>

Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    This collection is getting very interesting...image
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

<< <i> This collection is getting very interesting... >>

I'm not sure if that was a compliment image, heh heh
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Very interesting and historic!! German medals from the later WWII years are scarce by any means. I recently acquired a German medal from late 1945 that commemorates a mortar team. It is notable by its use of the old German war cross without a swastika, which -- considering the shape Germany was in at the end of the war -- makes it rare indeed.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I demand that the medal with the naked picture of me on the reverse be deleted and sent to me at once!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com