Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has anyone ever heard of this grading service?

This 1990 Fleer Update Emmitt Smith rookie has been graded a 10, Gem Mint by Capital Grading Service.

Can't find this company anywhere - not Google etc. - would someone set up their own grading shop that only seems to know one grade: Gem mint?image
Mike

Comments

• Options
    I searched about every search engine and couldn't find anything on them either ???

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    STONE - Keep in mind, anyone can start a grading company. There's no exam to pass, no fee's to pay. Just come up w/ a cute name and viola your in business. Some of these "grading companies" use screw down holders and afix their labels on them, no fuss no muss.
    So I imagine, some do not have websites or even a fixed address thats made available. A guy can start a grading company in his garage or basement, and use a P.O. Box for shipping to & from his location. And advertise in a hobby magazine and get a few submissions, or take his own cards and make them any grade he wants...jay
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qcards - this guy has mostly coins by the carload with the same company name - that could be a real problem - I guess you can do a lot of things to coins to make them look better - he consistently has the same cards for sale every week - 90FU RC Emmitt Smith, Homogenized bread - the sample Smith item looks trimmed; wouldn't be surprised if the bread issues are reprints - to prove intent to defraud is beyond my scope - it's just a shame how much potential damage all this can do.

Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I have a Capital Grading Service 1989 Topps Traded Barry Sanders graded 10 gem mint by them. It was the first graded card I bought before I knew about PSA/SGC. If anyone is interested, I could post a scan.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭

Looks a little like the PSA slab.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    schr1st

That card looks pretty good - I contacted a few people thru eBay purchases but didn't get a reply - the same vendors have a lot of Gem graded cards also - these have a reputation of being trimmed or counterfeited. As I've said, the guy with the Cap graded cards has too many homogenized bond in pristine shape for my taste - could you do me a favor? First measure the card - it looks good to me - second how about getting taking a magnifier to it: look at the black printed border line and the circle line with the USA - does the line stay sharp or does the black look more like print dots?

Thanx, Mikeimage
    Mike