Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Couple Nice "Binion" Toned Morgan's.... From Fellow Board Member Gemtone65

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
Very nice, and a privilege posting these baby's for Gemtone65.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Wow nice toning!
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Stman, for posting these scans so promptly. The top (NGC*65) piece is one of the 2 most eye appealing Binions I've seen. It is comparable in this aspect to the Binion NGC*67 once owned by Wayne Herndon, and subsequently sold at a Heritage sale. This coin is in my "A" box.

As you can see, the reverse of the NGC*66 is spectacular as well. The obverse has nice color with very lusterous surfaces.

Obviously, some of the Binion coins had truly terrific colors. Moreover, given the unique environment in which they were stored, the colors tend to be just a little different than normally seen. In fact, one can often identify a toned coin as a Binion piece simply by the nature of the toning alone.
  • Options

<< <i>It is comparable in this aspect to the Binion NGC*67 once owned by Wayne Herndon, and subsequently sold at a Heritage sale >>

I believe I know the Binion you are talking about. I owned it for a little while AFTER it was downgraded to a 66*. A truly great toned Binion.
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I've been seriously considering getting a binion and cracking it for my type set.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Coins!!!image
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My pleasure posting these for you Gemtone65. I agree most Binion toned Morgans have a certain look to them. Many, if the labels were covered up and put together with other non Binions.... we could probably pick out the Binions. The one I showed you was kind of an exception to this as it basically had rainbow bands in crescent form. I even have a Binion Peace$ that's toned with the typical Binion "Look." Greens and red. Nice pieces you have there and as you know the first obverse toned one is my favorite, that I would really like to own.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Outstanding.... Just not enough superlatives to describe these two coins appropriately!image
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Gemtone,

Simply magnificent! Drool...slobber...drool...

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying these coins. I also know that many of you are quite sophisticated collectors of these types of coins as well, so your comments are that much more meaningful.

Moreover, I appreciate UOFA hving helped me in acquiring my sole MS68 piece. And, Lablover, even though he doesn't know it, once beat me out in an auction with a very nice bit of end game strategic bidding. And yes, I was the one who complimented you after the auction on your clever bidding technique in that auction. If all my competitors were that good, I wouldn't have any of the pieces I've shown you so far.
  • Options
    image Get out the Bibs!
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Gemtone65 has been kind enough to share some pics of his colorfully toned Morgans with me...I was floored! I hope to have my collection up to his standards within the decade...but that may be dreaming!

Show some more when you can Gemtone65 and thanks for sharing these.

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    Gemtone65, those are great I really love the 1st oneimage
    Michael
  • Options
    JB: what's the story about how the Binion MS*67 was downgraded to MS*66?
  • Options
    Is this the coin? The colors are brighter in person.

• Options
    JB: Yes, that's the coin! It was offered to me at $4500, and I passed. It subsequently sold in Heritage's sale of November, 2002, for $2357.50, where it was graded MS67*. That grade indeed looks a little optimistic for the coin, but how did it get downgraded?
  • Options
    the person who bought it took it to NGC and told them it did not deserve to be in a 67 holder and they downgraded it. I agreed with this. The downgrade happened at the Long Beach around the summertime of last year.

VERY cool colors on this coin.
  • Options
    The only person that I've seen voluntarily have his own coins downgraded is Andy Kimmel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file