Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1862 Halfpenny - Die Letter C - New Today

Exceeeeeedingly rare. Rated R19 by Freeman (less than 6 exist). First I've ever seen - rarer than A and B put together. Flan crack obverse and reverse at 2 and 10 O'Clock respectively. Grades GVF or something like that. Mrs Roberts says it goes on Ebay - if it doesn't sell I keep.

imageimage

Posted for a laff .... image

EDITED TO ADD... some more info... easily distinguishable from a fake. The lighthouse is different to the standard 1862 halfpenny. And there are other differences (Britannia's arm is bigger etc...)

Comments

• Options
    forget the other giveaway, I'm in for this one!! Way Cool!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Not even a price listed in Spink! image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    Terry
    It's worth more than £1,000. And to the right person, a LOT more.

L
  • Options
    I'm glad i'm a type collector!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Good thing I'm a date collector! I only actively collect farthing varieties.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Good thing I'm a date collector! I only actively collect farthing varieties. >>

Not many of these about Tom... and this is the highest grade I've ever seen.... (see Colon's site for more information)

imageimage

L
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    That's a rare one all right. I'm watching out for it here.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Should have added that it was a Large Date 1845 farthing, noticeable by the datal 4 which is slightly higher than the other numbers. Extremely rare in the true sense of the phrase and believe it or not, one of the highest grades around... An insult to call it GF so NVF but VERY claggy. If I was net grading (which I never would), it would drop to Fine. Colin Cooke had one on his site for £68 well over a year ago. It's a rotten nF (near fine). Still a picture there now and the price is in the url.

Lloyd