Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Miscut?

Broken Bat? Corked? Take a look at this T201 Tris Speaker card. Nice card, but isn't it a miscut? I know you can request no qualifiers when receiving a grade, but I always thought this related to OC only b/c there are different centering standards for each grade. Isn't a card either miscut or not? The bat is on both sides of the card!

Comments

• Options
    Gator,

That is the exact way the card was produced, These T201's are known a "Doublefolders" because they are hinged and can be folded over to create another player. The top part (Gardner) can be folded down over the top of Speaker to create Gardner's full image. They both share the same lower leg portion. This is similar to Topps' 1955 Doubleheader set. The key here with raw specimens is to always check the hinged area with the tips of your fingers to "feel" for any wrinkles, which are nearly always contained near the middle. Since the stock is paper thin, these wrinkles can be obscured very easily.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info joedel...I am not familiar at all with this issue, but I would have bet on a miscut also...Interesting card design!

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    Actually, that's not 100% correct. The cards do fold but the red portion of the bat on the left hand side has nothing to do with it. The top portion of the card (where you see Speaker's name) folds down so that the guy on the back's (Earl Gardner) body "attaches" to Speaker's legs. When folded, the bat would be covered. You can see Gardner's picture is in the fielding position - no bat at all. The Speaker card was probably attached to another Speaker card before Mecca cut them. In this case, the bat on the left probably belongs to another Speaker card.

Attached is a great link if you want to see all of the T201s. You can see the "normal" Speaker card.

T201 pictures
  • Options
    As there were no borders to these cards, the idea of designating a card as miscut would only be appropriate if the card was missing a large portion of the player. The positioning of Speaker's feet on the EBAY example, compared to the "normal" example is not far off. I have never seen an uncut sheet of T201's, but I can now assume that each card probably comprised a whole row, or at least, several in a row before the cutting process started.

Thanks for the T201 link, Gator. It is now part of my favorites.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses - still a nice card and I will bid accordingly.