Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Crackin' slabs

I just cracked mt first slab, a Beckett. Had plastic flyin' everywhere and cut my hand, but I got the card out safely! It was actually harder for me to cut the plastic bag that held the card. I was scared to death I was going to slip and cut the card. Now I have to clean up the plastic pieces laying all over the garage...
Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations but jeez !!
    I think the catch phrase here is gentle tap (emphasize the word gentle and not tap).
    I have never drawn blood or sent pieces flying though I use a different technique I suspect. I take a regular screwdriver ( the metal one not the one with orange juice --- that's for later) and take the corner and acrtch along the seal on one side of the holder. Then I place the screwdriver into the seal and a couple of small taps usually with just my palm of the seal provides the "sound" of the seal breaking. From there I work my way around prying the edge open until it can be lifted apart. I would say 90%+ of the slab sides are still intact.
    No blood, no violence, no hard work. Just clean cards.
    Get a bandaid.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Fuzz,

Your technique will not work on a Beckett holder. They are a fortress unto themselves. They are not like PSA or SGC holders. I don't know the technical term, but the top half of the slab overlaps the bottom so there is no seam. With these holders, you need either a hammer and screwdriver, or powertools. The former is what I use, and I have plastic flying all over the place also. Haven't cut myself though...knock on wood.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    To prevent flying debris I always wrap the Beckett holder in a towel first and the beat the edges with a hammer. Then use a screwdriver to pry the slabs of plastic apart and finally I use a razor blad to cut the sleeve. I have probably busted 40 Beckett cases and have never damaged a card or myself! knock on wood
    Collecting Vintage Boxing Cards
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    anybody heard of a dremell rotary tool? cut off a corner on the flip and then insert the small screwdriver. no trips the hospital and no damaged cardsimage
  • Options
    The dremel works great on all holders. It only takes seconds on the easier ones.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    That's a good tip, packCollector. I have used the same tool with good results.
  • Options
    Bernie,
    I have cracked a few Beckett holders but do not remember the specific differences required. I do remember that there have been a few I could not break with the plam of my hand on the screwdriver and used a stone coaster to hit the screwdriver with. Maybe those were the Becketts. But still , no blood, no debris. The seam may be in a different place (if two pieces go together -- there must be a seam) but I always try to scratch up the weak spot.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I like the idea of a Dremel. I tried the screwdriver technique, but I thought for sure it would slip and stab in the hand. Maybe I should have drank a screwdriver first, and then used the screwdriver?
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Another nice technique I've used on PSA holder is to use needlenose plyers and break off the top 2 corners. Then it usually pulls apart by hand. Quick and easy. I would like to try that tool someday though.
  • Options
    A good vise, a case of beer, and an 18" chain saw is all you need. Talk about your plastic flyin" Whoo, its a thing of beauty!
  • Options
    I hate to say this, but i have become proficent at this. Take a couple of paper towels and wrap the card. Then take a small pair of pliers and and crack the top right corner at a angle.
    I then take a small pocket knife and gently pop the case from that point. I haven't damaged a card yet this way.