Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Any card shops in the Richmond area?

Heading up to NYC , will be stopping over in Richmond, just checking to see if any one knows of any decent shops there or even off the I-95 corridor?
If it's worth doing..It's worth overdoing!!

Comments

• Options
    I don't know of any in Richmond, but a little farther north in Fredericksburg there is a small one - and the only one in that area - about 2 miles west of I-95 called Al's Sporting Goods. It's an OK little shop, not real big. If at all interested you should take the VA Route 17 northbound exit which would be after the Falmouth exit. I have only used it for supplies.

There are several good shops in Baltimore, but none that I know are close to an exit off I-95. My favorite is Jay's Cards, which is just off the I-83 Timonium exit. Don Betz owns it and he is a great guy with a snazzy shop and although it has been a while since I visited, he used to stock a pretty good mix of vintage and modern, plus a good line of memorbelia.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    The best source of graded cards in the Richmond area is Rob of 1961 Topps fame. I think he lives in Richmond.

Dav
  • Options
    There is nothing in Richmond!

There is not much in the entire state!

The best card shop in Richmond is Ebay!
  • Options
    Thanks for the plug, Jim. But unless you want 61's, you are out of luck. image

And I don't know of any decent card shop anywhere near here. There used to be several before E-bay, but no longer.

Rob
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    To all you Richmond guys -- take an hour drive west to Charlottesville and to Cavalier Sports Cards-- Yes I know I-64 between Richmond and Charlottesville is potentially the most boring drive in the world. But it is worth it.

Some of our wares can always be seen on ebay
    Shameless Self Promotion Plug

As with most stores - lots of new stuff and wax - but we also deal a lot in collector grade older material and we are always buying. We try and stock everything from goudeys and playballs to date and pretty much anything else we can get. We also offer ebay consignment services.

• Options
    I've been to Jeff's at Cavalier Cards. Nice store. Not a ton of vintage, but Jeff and his dad are very nice. Plus he is a Wahoo!
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    It isn't boring however if you go a few miles west to see the spectacular view from Afton Mountain. The fog can also keep you on your toes.
  • Options
    Rob - Thanks for the plug -- but you gotta ask to see the old stuff. It's in the backroom.

Plus I'm not sure how much I want to be waving that Wahoo tag around right now -- football season is over and it's going to be a long ACC basketball season.
    Of course UVA always does well in lacrosse and soccer -- yeah.
  • Options
    Rob, I always wondered the same when I go in there. Now I know ask for the stuff in the back room. Got any PSA Reggie's Jeff. I'm might start that up shortly. Jeff's got alot of stuff, but I perfer to buy his stuff off ebay and get those ebay prices image
    Looking for low #'d 2006 Marques Hagans + 1991 Wild Card stripes of UVA players - Tony Covington, Shawn Moore, Herman Moore
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's sad but all of Richmond's card shops are gone. When I was growing up there we had some great ones! You know, Tuff Stuff started there, a small little shop called Collectors Corner. It's where I found 60's Post and 70's test issues as a kid, still love them. Man I miss those days.

As for driving on I-64, it's not great, but take a trip or two from Philly to Pittsburgh on the PA Turnpike and you'll be begging for some Virginia mountain views!
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach