Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I give up

http://www.psacard.com/do_order.chtml?requesttimeout=99999&orderno=9018853

All of these cards I checked with a 20x loupe. I checked them against previously graded cards. The older Ryan cards I sent in just for capsulation (except that 79... jees!), didn't really care about the grades. From 1980 on (except the OPC cards), I was sure of 9s and 10s. I checked them twice and three times! That 2003 Rickie Weeks was absolutely perfect. A solid 9 at worst.

My ideas for why my grades are bad:
1. My grading eye is not good - I don't think this is the case because like I mentioned, I compared them to previously graded cards of the same sets with a magnifying glass. The newer Ryans were flawless, as were the 86 Fleers and 89 Scores. The older ones I thought were going to be a lot worse that they were. Am I biased? Maybe a little, but its hard to be when the ones I submitted looked just as nice as the ones that are in 10 holders. The 86s and 89s are my main concern.

2. The cards were damaged in transit - I doubt this case as well because I packaged them so they wouldn't move. Maybe they came loose? Maybe the USPS used my box as a soccer ball? *shrug*

3. The grader has it in for me - This is the only logical explanation! image (j/k)

This was submitted through the registry special at $5/card. I am shocked it took them 3 days to grade over 145 cards (kudos to PSA for that). I sent in my complimentary cards (7-days) in the same box and they're not graded. I sent in a Ryan RC with the 7-day in hopes of getting a 7 (GAI pre-graded it at 6.5). Looks like I'll be lucky with a 5.

This is my last submission ever. This is the second time I've taken a bath. The first time was my fault, so I learned and applied that to this submission. I guess I didn't learn as well as I thought. It took me over $1000 to figure it out. I can't keep wasting money on bad grades. Looks like I'll be able to save money just buying the cards graded. *sigh* I'm mainly

I need a beer.

Justin
Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM

Comments

• Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    Maybe they read that thread about how many 10's were being given out and decided to tighten the reins.
    I'm getting ready to submit about 400 cards and I've thought about splitting it up in case I catch a grader who's having a tough day. But deep inside I know the grades are usually pretty accurate when I go back and objectively look at them.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Wow, this scares me. I'm getting ready to send in my first major submission. I've sent in a few cards before and have done well, but maybe I was just lucky. I'm rechecking the cards that I'm going to send...

On the bright side, you do have a lot of 8's and 9's throughout the list, and even a 10. It certainly isn't all bad!
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Justin
    When you get the cards back, take them outside and let the glare from the sun help you look for defects. Sometimes you can look too close and miss something big. If you know anyone else that sends cards in that gets good grades, ask them to help you look for defects. When I am at a show with a friend, and we are looking to buy raw, often times we will show a card to the other for an opinion. We do find flaws that the other has missed.
    The sun light has worked for me before sending them in.
  • Options
    Marty, et al-

I'm sure there were some surface wrinkles I missed on the glaringly bad grades. Those older ones I wanted encapsulated anyway so it really didn't matter the grade. My main beef was with the 1986 and newer cards getting 8s. They looked exactly like the cards in 10 holders. I'll take a look when they get back to see if any have some surface issues I missed.

The scary thing about this is that I was POSITIVE these were locks for good grades. The 1988 Scores and 1989 Donruss's were the best out of my bunch and the 86s and 89s compared favorably to them.

Justin

NAXCOM
  • Options
    Justin,
    I'd be interested in the Ozzie Smith RC. Think it was a surface wrinkle?
    Are you putting together a Ryan set? Starting to get second thoughts about submitting my Oz cards.

Ben

bluespokescardsfan@cox.net

• Options
    Ben,

The Ozzie is pretty beat up and probably got knocked down from a 6 because I asked for no qualifiers. I submitted it for my father so I'll see what he wants to do with it.

Yeah, I'm putting together the Ryan Basic and Topps sets. I don't know what to say about submitting now... maybe I'm just blind and can't tell the difference between an 8 and 9. 145 cards in 3 days? They must have graders looking for stuff to do. I was expecting to get it back in March!

Justin

NAXCOM
  • Options
    I sure wish I knew what the hang up with my cards is. I'm getting VERY jealous of hearing collectors turnarounds when my measly 28 card submission has been held hostage since 1/12/04. WTF!?!?!image
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I've sent in 2 batches so far on the $5 special. I did relatively good on both. A lot of 74's and 75's and some newer stuff. My zip is 85382 and the submission numbers are 9018672 and 9018674. I'm getting ready to send in 2 more batches but your making me nervous. I hate when I catch a grader like that.

Edited because I can't get the links to work for these.
  • Options
    I just receive my cards back from a recent small submission. (#4111078, zip=06870). I had some free vouchers, so I sent in some 1978’s out of my set I built raw about 10 years ago. Mixed bag of 9’s, 8’s, plus 4’s and 5’s. When I look at the low grades at an angle in bright light out pop the tiny surface wrinkles that appear to be very common to this issue. These low grades look mint otherwise. Sometimes it’s hard to tell what is the card’s surface texture when it was printed versus a surface wrinkle. I am more used to collecting older issues from the 50’s and 60’s where surface wrinkles are more obvious.

Rick
    Always looking for high-grade 1958-62 Bell Brand and Morrell Meat Dodger cards.
  • Options
    Justin,
    Marty was right about the San Tan BBQ and I suspect that he is right about this as well. If not exactly correct, then very very close.
    I have written your post a few times to friends after receiving early submissions. But after some time and practice, I have gotten much better, though not as good as some of these guys on the board.
    What I suspect is happening is that you have developed a systematic error in your grading appraoch. That does not mean you don't have a good eye, it probably means that you are leaving out a step that the grader checks and that they see things you don't. Marty is right about the sunlight. I have moved my grading table to right under one of the big windows on the top floor. It has helped my catch many a low grade before it went it. Be sure and tilt and turn the card as well. I have a halogen spot light on the table for grading at night. It is not as good however as sunlight, but it is the type of light they use. Alos note that Marty lives in the desert, going out into the sunlight to stare at cards this time of year is not a sacrifice for him.
    I would suggest studying lower grade cards as well. If you have a "defect missing technique" then looking at 10's and 9's will not help. Since you could not see the defect you are missing on those, you will not learn from them. They are great for centering and corners but not surface and gloss issues. I didn't get better until I started figuring out why this card got a 6 or a 7 when it looks a 9 to me. That changed my techinque so that I could find those types of problems. One other thing that I have noticed in submissions. Do NOT submit low grade cards and high grade cards together in the same submission! I have found that once they see the lower grade cards, they decide that the whole order is lower grade and you couldn't buy a 9. So some of those 8's may be worth a crack and resubmit.
    Good Luck,
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Fuzz,

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to take a look to see if I missed something. I have never heard your theory before about the low grades bringing down the entire order. I always thought it was the exact opposite... the lower quality cards made the better ones look that much better. Maybe if I find myself with a little extra cash I'll try it again, but I doubt that will be any time soon.

Justin

NAXCOM
  • Options
    Justin,
    One of my first big submissions was for 66 BB which I was advidly working on at the time. I had about 12 NM and better raw sets and picked the cream of the cream from them. I had about 150 to 200 cards that were lock 9's. I also included in the order about 25 cards that were the best of that card number that I had because the were the last ones that I need to complete my first slabbed set. I figured a 6 or a 7 would be better than a nothing, so what the heck.
    When the order came back I was devistated. Not only was it over $1K worth of fees but the grades were unbelievable. I got the 6's and the 7's part right. But it was straight through it seemed. I couldn't buy a break. The lock 9's that I had submitted were about half 7's and half 8's. I got one 9 total. I have looked through the cards several times since they came back over two years ago. I still stand behind the idea that many/most of them should be 9's. Someday, when the PO'd-ness wears off, I will break out a few and resubmit. If they come back higher, then I will do the rest.
    The only thing I figure was once they saw the lower grade cards, the rest were just assumed to be the same. And yes, THE 9 was the next last card graded. The grades got higher as they went to slowly.
    Fuzz
    PS. Just because you are paranoid doen't mean they aren't out to get you.
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Oh well. The cards I submitted are the ones that are worth $0.05 unslabbed. I got the results from my complimentary submissions:

http://www.psacard.com/do_order.chtml?requesttimeout=99999&orderno=4090447

Not too surprised. The Ryan RC was graded 6.5 by GAI so it could have gone either way. The other Ryans were nasty, but I really like them so I wanted them slabbed. The other 3 are not surprising considering my other results. I think Fuzz is on to something.

Justin

NAXCOM
  • Options
    I just sent in 25 cards on the special and now I'm TERRIFIED.
    I'll post when I get the results. All the cards I sent in went straight from the pack to the Card Saver I holder. 13 cards are 1972, 2 are 1977 and the rest are between 1986 and 1990. I sent in the latter just for kicks. My '72s are freakin beautiful and if anything comes back less than an 8 I will be really pissed.
    cheers,
    minibeers
    1966T, 1971T, 1972T raw and in 8s
    1963T Dodgers in 8s
    Pre-war Brooklyn 5s or higher