Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What was Donruss and Wade Boggs thinking ?

Why didnt they have have put "reds" on the card instead? I think it would help the cvalue if it had the right team signed on the card to match the card.

UPDATE ...form what I can tell on ebay he signed all the cards "yanks" I wonder why ? Intresting

Donruss card /2004

James

I hope this year I will have more will power. I am not going to buy 2004 unless I really like the product ...alot. Like Prime cuts.
x

Comments

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I get the feeling that a lot of Red Sox from his era were happy to leave. Especially when he won his only world title with the Yankees.

Could be worse, he could've signed it "Hair Club for Men" or whatever that hair loss thing is he's endorsing.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Look on the bright side. Yankees fans won't want it, because he's in a Red Sox uniform, and Red Sox fans won't want it, because he signed it Yanks. Cuts down your bidding competition.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Question is What is the Seller thinking trying to get $100 for it????

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    he will and then some. Hell I would give a hundred right now for it.....will powerimage

And the card is stamped 1/1 is should go for 200 to 300
    x
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Oh my bad. I didnt realize it was a 1/1. I thought it was just a 90 donruss signed by boggs

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Boggs,

As a player collector like me, maybe you are starting to feel the same I did when it comes
    to chasing every game/event/serial/short printed/glossy/refractor/jersey/hat/bat/jock strap card that
    the companies have been issuing of ouR collected player

and that would be:

USED!

Here is the rule I now stick to: Collect only issues from during playing career. My only exception are the
    company issued Autographed cards at a reasonable cost becasue there are inherent certified autographs.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    carew4me

I feel used aswell. I am going to lay off the new issues. I said it last year and was sucked in. This year only the products that are first class. And maybe a handful of cards at best. A few autos and a very limited amount of game used. Only the unusual pieces. It is getting tiresome collecting 5 years after he reitred and losing ground. I am going more graded this year. Raw lots and submitting cards to PSA.

Some other clown listed another 1/1 auto at 699.99 BIB of 699.99 he will hold that for awhile.

James
    x
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Just shows that Wade won't be building rocket ships anytime soon. This is the same guy who kissed
    home plate right?

Im sure the guys over at playoff got a real good laugh when they got the card back:

Associate 1: Hey Bruce check this out, Wade signed the Red Sox card 'Yanks"!!
    Bruce (laughing on the floor) Should we tell managment and get a replacment?
    Associate 1: Nah, lets stick it packs and see some poor slob pull it!
    Bruce: Yeah ha ha

Sad
    JS
  • Options
    Poor poor JS...you did read the edits I made befor you posted did you? There are several more auctions all showing "yanks" on the cards. I guess that is what Donruss wanted. That is the second time you have metioned Wade Kissing home plate. What is the problem? Any more inaccurate babblings?

James
    x
  • Options
    I could see if this was a sticker auto but old man boggs was signing a red sox card! I mean what
    was he thinking? Does Wade not have a Donruss/Yanks card that they could of "bought back"?

JS
  • Options
    My meaning for this post was that question. But placing blame on Boggs isnt the answer. It seems that is what DR wanted . Why? That is the proble here. I will email DR soon and ask.

James
    x
  • Options
    I think that Donruss wanted to make a statement that Boggs likes the Yankees more and perhaps hates the Red Sox.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    James,

Nice post! About the card: It looks good! Was this card released in 1990? Or is this one of those "retro" cards that looks like an older issue but released more recently? I assume he signed it when he was with the Yankees. I don't think Boggs ever anticipated going to the Yankees in 1990.

Boggs had some good times with the Yanks, playing with Mattingly and winning a World Series ring. It would have been sweeter if he had won the batting crown in 1994 to go along with the gold gloves he won.

I am a player collector too. While Mattingly is my guy, Boggs is not far behind at all when it comes to my favorite players list. I like to get all the regular issues from the playing years, but when you want to collect ALL the cards ever produced, it becomes a chore and the enjoyment is gone, let alone the pocket book.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    DeutscherGeist

The card was Bought back by DR recently and then stamped Recollection Collection and signed by Wade Boggs probly some time in the last few months . Some Brain At DR I am sure requested that Boggs sign the yanks portion on each card. The smart thing would have been to sign each card with the correct team on the card.

Mattingly is a great player to collect. I have a few hundred of those. If you need any Boggs let me know. I have some doubles.

james
    x
  • Options
    yeah playoff is shaking things up a bit and I think despite the obvious on the card I do like the idea of
    personalzation and I am a HUGE fan of losing the stickers. It is nice that the brains over at playoff have
    realized that retired HOF'ers have better things to do than lose a stack of cards that they had sent
    to them. I would hope that guys like Boggs, Schmidt, and Brett can be trusted with the actual cards
    and not just a sticker sheet! The actual buy back concept isn't new, but it seems like this is a big
    chunk of the product. Now how about getting some nice cards like say an 82 donruss Ripken or
    87 donruss bonds...oh wait Bonds isn't doing anything this year...scrap that.

On a related note playoff has signed Sosa to an autograph deal, he actually is appearing in this
    product and has signed some of these cards...yes cards and not stickers. Playoff is clearly the
    one to buy now......UD is fading quick!

Maybe Boggs is smarter than we all thought and it was sort of a message?

JS