Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should floor bids be done without paddles?

The only way to keep track of bids, for the auction companies is through computerization, ie., the internet. Currently only internet bids, not phone, nor floor bids can be kept track of. If all "floor bids" were done through computers, all bids could be tracked...
Is this the future marketing of the auction houses?

Comments

• Options
    I hope not! Must technology supercede every human endeavor? Besides, all it would take is one malfunction,
    and the lawsuits would fly.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never have been to any type of a auction live. It seems like the human factor of a auction would be very nice.

Do they have a paddle that says I'm winning this coin at any price or do you just have to keep raising the same old paddle over and over ?

Ken
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Told Ya that a auction has never beed attended live....they do not use Paddles ?
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Auction houses have their share of bidders who do not intend to honor their bids. If this type of bidder is the "high bidder" on a lot, the lot goes "unsold" even if there were legitimate underbidders and the reserve has been met. If the/an underbidder could be recognized, the sale would not fail, it would just go to the "next highest" legitimate bidder.
    Entering bids into an electronic system on the floor, will ultimately allieve this situation for coins that do not sell, but have met their reserve.
    "Paddles" are still necessary for those special occasions when they can be vehemently used on any bidder who does not honor their bids. image
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    some of the floor bidders should be paddled!image
  • Options

I've only been to a few coin auctions personally. I did work for an art and antique auction gallery though. It's really fun to watch or even be one of the bidders battling at the end to win the item they have been waiting for. It's part of the mystic of the auction.

I remember my folk's going to one auction where Virginia Hill was working as a shill. I got to meet Buddy Ebsen and Capt'n Tennile. I also got to work with James Almos hauling the winning lots to the good folk's of Beverly Hills. Hmmmm? What am I doing here in Florida???

Well, I still carry my paddle with pride!

Larry
    Dabigkahuna