Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Accepts Paypal, but only NON-CREDIT CARD FUNDS. WTF?

Check out this auction:

1981 Donruss Pete Rose PSA 9

In the description is this curious line...

"I accept Checks, Money Orders, and Paypal (with NON-Credit Card Funds ONLY)."

Why is he restricting the Paypal funds like this? How would he even know the difference?

Comments

• Options
    There are two types of paypal accounts. One for "business" use takes credit card payments, but charges a flat fee plus 2.9% of the transaction cost. The "personal" account only allows cash transfers from the buyer's paypal funds or from the buyer's bank.

Personal accounts cannot take credit cards without upgrading to a business account and thereby incurring the fees.

Ebay/paypal recently announced a further restriction on personal accounts: No more than $1,000 incoming per month (no limit on outgoing funds).
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Another reason some sellers might not except credit card payment's is bc the buyer can dispute what he bought a month later and walk with the card and a refund. I know a couple of sellers who got burned that way.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Correct. I actually had a seller recently try and tell me that he wanted ME to pay the credit card fees that PayPal was charging him, even though I payed by balance transfer (no additional fees that way). After I pointed this out to him, he told me that he would "absorb the cost himself" from PayPal. Gee, thanks for the kind gesture...why do sellers insist on passing on the cost of doing business so blatantly to their customers?
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭

<< <i>Correct. I actually had a seller recently try and tell me that he wanted ME to pay the credit card fees that PayPal was charging him, even though I payed by balance transfer (no additional fees that way). After I pointed this out to him, he told me that he would "absorb the cost himself" from PayPal. Gee, thanks for the kind gesture...why do sellers insist on passing on the cost of doing business so blatantly to their customers? >>

It's illegal for the merchant to charge the fees.

You can dispute that,I think.
  • Options
    If a seller select they take PAYPAL on the ebay sell form, the CC logos show up no matter what.
    If a seller cannot or will not accept CC paypal they should deselect PAYPAL in the Payment Options section of the listing forms and elect to have PAYPAL insert non-CC auction logos. Now that eBay owns PAYPAL, I'm hoping they work it out.

Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • Options

<< <i>It's illegal for the merchant to charge the fees.

You can dispute that,I think. >>

It is illegal..you can report the seller to both eBay & Paypal.

Skip

I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    ctsoxfax,

If a person has a business PayPal account, he has to pay to receive PayPal payments regardless of whether the payments come from a credit card, cash balance, or bank account. He isn't allowed to pass the cost on to you, but it isn't free for him if you pay with a balance transfer.

This is why PayPal encourages you to pay with a balance transfer. They charge the seller a percentage either way, but if you pay with a credit card, PayPal has to pay fees to the credit card company, and it cuts into their profit.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Correct. I actually had a seller recently try and tell me that he wanted ME to pay the credit card fees that PayPal was charging him, even though I payed by balance transfer (no additional fees that way). After I pointed this out to him, he told me that he would "absorb the cost himself" from PayPal. >>

I am a paypal fan, and believe that the 3% is well worth the hassle saved. But if you have a business account, then the 2.9% is charged whether the buyer uses paypal balance, credit card, or bank draft. The only way it could be cheaper is an echeck has a $5 maximum fee charge.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

From the paypal website...you can also have a "premier account" and still accept credit cards:

So what are the differences?

Personal Accounts
    Send money for FREE
    Receive money for FREE (non-credit card payments only)
    Can upgrade to a Premier account at any time

Premier Accounts
    Send money for FREE
    Low fees for receiving money
    No limit on receiving credit card payments
    Exclusive customer service hotline 7 days a week
    Special tools for sellers
    ATM debit card for select users

Business Accounts
    Include all the features Premier accounts
    Can do business under a corporate or group name
    Access to Multiple Logins
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I agree that, when I sell, I would rather pay a small percentage for the convenience and security that PayPal gives you. It still bugs me that some big sellers that I buy a lot from (DSL, you listening?) don't take PayPal because of the fees, and its more inconvenient for me to take the time out to write and mail a check. Plus, you hope your payment makes it where it was sent to.

By the way, I told the seller who asked me to pay the 2.9% fee to simply refund my PayPal payment, and when I was able to do so, I would send him a check. He replied back then that he would "absorb the cost" and he sent the card. I thought about forwarding his email to PayPal or Ebay, but I want to wait until I at least receive my card.
  • Options

<< <i>Ebay/paypal recently announced a further restriction on personal accounts: No more than $1,000 incoming per month >>

that was actally an Increase I think.

When I first got a paypal account
    several years ago,
    you could only revceived like 250 bucks
    each month with a personal account
    and if you got more than that in your
    account, you had to "upgraded" to a
    business account in order to get the money.

imageimage
  • Options
    I believe Paypal charges the fee no matter what. For example it doesn't matter if it's from a credit card, existing balance or checking account.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

I also have the same policy on my e-bay auctions. I have a personal account - if I receive instant balance or bank withdrawal payments there is no charge. If someone sends me a credit card payment, my account has to be upgraded to the business account and Paypal charges their fees.

Ken
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    As a seller I send an end of auction notice listing both types of transactions to different paypal accounts due to the fee structure and the fact paypal is getting something(2.9%) for nothing when you send money from your bank account.

BKAH, I think the 250 was a restriction until you were verified. I have received many payments over $1000 to my personal account and never been charged a fee or been asked to be upgraded.

I will probably stop doing this now that they put in the restriction to force you to give them free money.
  • Options
    When I encounter sellers who try to pass of Paypal fees on me I just remind that it is against Ebay and Paypal rules as well as being illegal. I than offer to send a check instead. They either drop the request for fees or take the check. The ironic thing is that even if you send payment from a funded account, if the seller has a premiere account, Payapl still charges them a fee for the money.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    I had a seller that did the "Paypal, but no credit cards" thing. It was buried in his description, and all I saw was the CC icons, and it said payment methods accepted: and mentioned CCs. I made a payment and it went through, he emailed me and said that he didn't take CCs (so why'd it go through) and refunded the payment, and had me pay again by transfer.

I also thought it was illegal to charge a usage fee on CCs, but my school says that if I want to pay my tuition with a CC, then I have to pay a $2 "convenience charge". I'm not sure whose convenience it is, since they get their money, and don't have to have some person handling a check, etc. I called my CC company and asked if that was illegal to have a charge on CCs, and they said it wasn't as long as you were aware of the charge. So what's the difference between my school and Paypal or a store?
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  • Options
    I only have a paypal personal account, but I accept credit cards through my storefront by phone. I tried to make it as obvious as possible to buyers my policies in my AUCTIONS.

It is illegal in most states to charge for a credit card charge, but yet Upper Deck does it when you buy direct from them with a 2% charge for credit card vs. check(they are in California where it is illegal to charge extra). So in my offer for a case of SP Authentic Hockey the credit card price is $934.13 by credit card or $915.45 by check. I've used CC for a few of my cases despite the illegality of it (shrug).
    Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com