Home U.S. Coin Forum

O.T. Ranting

I know theres alot of talk about negitive people on here. I hate to come across as one right now , but thems the breaks of life.

here are my public topic rantings i would like to get off my chest and if you like you can respond to.

1.) PNC Bank - Who the heck has ever heard of walking into a bank with $100 and NOT being allowed to buy any change. just cause you dont have an account there. I mean they DO test to make sure the 100$ is real.Plus When you work for a place taht uses that bank you shoudl be allowed to excahnge money. Shmucks.

2.) I think that wheat pennies arent worth the collecting, ( would like you ropinion). 90% are common dates and dont seem very worthwhile. They are common place.

and 3.) I dont understand this Modern Coin collecting , its not gonn abe worth much now and most you need to wait 40 years to see any real increase in value. and things like state quarters are worth only 25 cents and i dont see them ever going up.
Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you've done it. You've insulted modern coins.

If you say it, they will come.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't be allowed to buy change because you don't like moderns.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    1. See if your employer will call the bank and ask them to accommodate you. This will work best if you use the same branch that your employer uses.

2. The vast majority of wheat cents may be common dates, but they are still worth 2-3x face value. I wouldn't buy them just to search through, though.

3. State quarters: agree. Moderns taking 40 years to be worth anything: there are people on this board who buy proof sets for a few bucks, and slab some of the coins to sell for many times what they paid. Now that's not for me, and it may not be for you, but nonetheless, it's doable.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't be allowed to buy change because you don't like moderns.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Since I decided to collect Franklin half dollars last month I find myself in the modern group now and I am very offended at your remarks! We are a small group but a very persistant one to defend the honor of modern coinage so please be more sensitive to our love of them. image mike
      How did I do on my first defense of modern coinage?image
    • i hope they do coem out cause id like to understand it.

ok the AM varation lincolns are cool and thats abotu where i can draw the line and the 1995 DDO. but what about a 1988 penny from the change or a 2001P dime. why them? what are theyre likely hood to do anything in my lifetime. the $1 gold coins the new ones. they seem to be a good investment or collectible cause getting one in nice shape are dang near impossible. also depending on year and all. but like i got that 1988 penny that is zinc, and a 1989 Red and blue pennies what do they hold.

and yes the bank thing really bugs me cause who are they not to take legal tender for a $50 in pennies. ? think about it, that is what a bank is for right?
      Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
    • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    • TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
      "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
      "Exactly."

• here I sit broken harted came to ........o, wrong room.
      Pecunia in arbotis non crescit.
    • Well perhaps it may take 40 years for some value but if only your grandparents had collected those Morgans when they were "modern"

I can think of a dozen reasons not to have high capacity magazines, but it's the reasons I haven't thought about that I need them.
    • wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭
      If you hate modern coins, why do you look through modern coins at Rite Aid?
    • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
      Send me all your BU original wheat cents. All common ones. I'll pay 10 cents each. And I'll pay $1 for each MS-65 or better 1982 quarter you have. Instant profit my friend. It's a good deal. Trust me.
    • I'll give ya 50 cents for every Franklin you wanna send me....image
    • never said i hated it ( thus i still look though them) i just dont understand it.. i hear from dealers the useless worth of hunting them down. how so many get high grades that it hurts the value of MS66+ . yet i stil lthink to the 1963 MS-70 coin. but think if we all are getting coins grade with a higher population of ms 67,68,69 and maybe even a few 70s what will tehy be worth.

older coins i can see cause not many people cared about collecting back in the 1700s and 1800s and yes even into the 1900s. but now its main stream and looks like everyone who has a ms65 + gets their new coins graded. and the population is so much greater. i dont know.

i bought ms65+ franklins and now i hear how they are common grades. and common coins. makes me wonder why did i do it. i love some of them, and soem i got for the grade. but how can they go up ifPF 66 and 67s are called Common grade coins

something im thinking baout and looking for answers from you modern people
    • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How did I do on my first defense of modern coinage?image >>

Pretty good really, but it needs a little polish. The important thing is that you believe it
      and that really does come through.image

Forty years huh? You might want to check out some of the prices for these coins. Wholesale
      on a 1983 quarter roll is $907!!! This isn't a gem roll or some special variety that you actually
      had to get out of the house and track down, this is the regular everyday version of a $10 roll.
      That's more than 90 times your money in 21 years. If you actually cared about these coins and
      sought out nice gem coins they're worth about $200 per coin. That's 800 times your money in
      twenty one years. There are lots of nice collectible modern coins and they are virtually all doing
      well.

The quarters you didn't get at the bank today were mostly likely not going to soar in value even
      in forty years. Sure there might have been a few desirable coins in the rolls but the typical coin
      in circulation has little interest or potential. It requires a collector to determine what is special and
      what is just junk. Proclamations by non collectors are much more an admission of ignorance than
      a reflection of reality.

There. Do you think I believe any of that?
      Tempus fugit.
    • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll give ya 50 cents for every Franklin you wanna send me.... >>

And, I'll give you a dollar for every DMR-1 1964 Kennedy you want to send. They don't even have to be high grade. Any grade will be fine.

Russ, NCNE
    • You might want to check out some of the prices for these coins. Wholesale
      on a 1983 quarter roll is $907

so if i put $10 in 1983 P or $10 in 1983D circ grade together its worth $907.

i know they didnt make mint sets in 82 and 83 so in that i can understand.

just seems way confusing and hard to figure out whats what.

• mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
      wheat cents are common?

they're only the longest running series of any coin
      with more die varieties than any series
      more repunched mint marks than any coin series

think its easy to get them all ?......try it!

don't think they're worth anything look at the major auctions.

check the registries ....more are listed there than most any other series.

many more sets are not even bothering to register.

DUD RANT!
    • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
      I think that wheat pennies arent worth the collecting, ( would like you ropinion). 90% are common dates and dont seem very worthwhile. They are common place.

You're right man. They arnt worth collecting. There are much better things out there to sink money into: Cars, new computers, CD's, DVD's, more cloths. You know, stuff that actually increases in value. Of coarse, Mike Saddler and Dpoole may disagree. Both of their sets realized around 250K within the last month.

David
    • I don't think that every aspect of this hobby of ours has to be geared toward making money. I have a set of bu red memorial cents (cost me $15) and I just like how they look all together. As far as the uncirculated and proof (all proofs) Jefferson set that I am assembling, it has been fun and cheap, but something to be of which to be proud when finished. Some things should just be enjoyable and a better use of time than just watching tv or givin' away money at the track. It is nice to have a set of something, but it is much greater to have a set that put effort into putting together yourself.
    • i talking like the 1941 the 1945 that you see in teh cash draws. they are brown they are less tahn AU. granted theyre are rare dates and then the high grade coins. i hear how people sell bulk wheats cheap. 10$ for a lb or so. and theres SOOO many of those types that makes me wonder. plus i get alot of wheats at work and i wonder. if they are really worth alot ( the common years and grades) for many of the post 1940 wheats dont even book if less than vf-20. and then its .05 or maybe .10. i take them anyway regardless. but i dont know

i hate to sound like a dud. but i wonder. it annoys me when i get these common mid grade type coins and know they arent worth grading. thats what im getting at. unless a common modern type coin is a high grade, the effort for gradeing and all is really not there. unless its a key date. i didnt mean to peev people off but i get so many put downs from dealers saying how most is just a waste of money. dont buy common wheats they dont go up or dont buy a roll of 2000P nickels cause unless they are high grade they are just a nickel. . thats what i dont get. i want to get the moderns side of things
    • Banks do not exist to collect $50 in pennies. Yes, for good customer service they should, but you are forgetting the simple fact- banks are in business to make money, just as Rite Aid is. Banks have shareholders who want a return on their investment. Banks have employees who have families to provide for. Banks have to make money, which they do on lending money and offering financial services. They do not exist simply to help your coin collecting hobby.

Because you disagree with bank policy does not make them "schmucks." If I think Rite-Aid charges too much for prescriptions, does that make you a schmuck? Does it make all of Rite-Aid a schmuck if I don't like their pricing policy? I don't think so. Once again, choose your words carefully, before you throw them up on a public forum.

Banks have to order enough coinage to meet the needs of their paying customers. These customers have accounts, pay account fees, and generate interest for the bank through their deposits. Since a bank offers change to their customers without a charge, they are not making any money off of this. They do this, since their customers benefit the bank in other ways. You requesting $100 in pennies or other rolls of change can seriously drain a teller's drawer. Is that fair to the bank? You aren't a bank customer.. why should they help you? You are trying to freeload off of the bank's cost of business.. which involves ordering coinage. Coins have to go to their customers first- the retail businesses, and if they don't have $100 in coinage to spare, tough luck.

I hope this makes it a little clearer why banks are not there simply to help in your coin collecting. Be courtious, respectful and polite, and make a reasonable request- perhaps for $20 in change, and you might get better results.
      Tim
    • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
      1) Banks are in the business to make money. Providing change is a service that costs them money. While it would be nice if they provided the service free of charge to all comers, I do not fault them for not.

2) Collecting wheat cents from bulk lots may not be worthwhile, but there are a number of high-powered wheatie collectors out there. I never criticize the series others collect just because I do not have the interest or knowledge.

3) While I generally agree with your points re: moderns, see #2. There is no value in bashing something that is harmless to you and makes other people happy

• << <i>I don't think that every aspect of this hobby of ours has to be geared toward making money. I have a set of bu red memorial cents (cost me $15) and I just like how they look all together. As far as the uncirculated and proof (all proofs) Jefferson set that I am assembling, it has been fun and cheap, but something to be of which to be proud when finished. Some things should just be enjoyable and a better use of time than just watching tv or givin' away money at the track. It is nice to have a set of something, but it is much greater to have a set that put effort into putting together yourself. >>

i got the following coins at a coin shop
      franklin half
      58 PF 67
      60 pf66
      61 pf66
      62 pf67
      63 pf65

paid 186$ and from what im hearing even from you i got taken.

doesnt it seem odd that high grade coins like these should should be more scarce.
      yet it seems like for what i paid i shoudl have gotten it for at least half that.

ill admit im 20 yrs old. i dont want to go blowing my hard earn cash on junk. ( noone does) but i learned dont buy raw till i learn to grade and i should stick to slabs, so i did and i learned that if you do you buy the highest grades you can afford. cause they are much safer and here i am tring to understand how i still got taken
    • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
      just seems way confusing and hard to figure out whats what

Atarian, it is. If you spend enough energy to know what's really unusual, you'll see what all the hoopla is about. It isn't just about condition rarities. You mentioned the wide AM Lincolns. Do you know about the A,B and C Washington reverses, the 66 no FG Kennedy, the many Lincoln doubled dies, the cameo SMS coins, the prooflike mint state coins, the full step Jeffs, the off metal Ikes, the......aw, you get the idea. Ours is a very interesting hobby. The more you know to look for, the more you see. image
      Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
      and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
    • but if you ask a bank to order a certain amount for you to pick up. woudlnt you think they would be able to do that?
      ive known banks to charge money to order coins. which is ok i dont mind that. but to say we cant, seems wrong. they should charge non account holders money for ordering coins. even my own bank doesnt even watn to order coins and i do have an account there. ( maybe tis why fleet is gettin bought out by another bank) like with Rite Aid if you dont like the price of a medication you have a chance to get a generic which is just as good. but cost less.

i didnt mean to get people mad. im just tired of hearing from dealers. moderns are not good way to go. when i get joy out of hunting for things. . . i got 1 or 2 rolls of 2003 P nickels around just in case. i know about hte major varitey errors that drive modern coin collectors , heck i hunt for them too. but what about htose that arent errors or rare or low mintage. that are normal and not high grade. why do people send them for grading and how do they find their value. if so many grade so high.

im not in it for the money. heck i got a few $1000 in loose change in 2x2 holders. from F-12 to AU to MS . why i have them i dont know. ( why im asking you all ) i hope to find some varieties or something. but i dont know why i have them . what purpose does 17 1965 F-12 washington quarters serve. i started off thinking anything is worth taking. and did. (where i built this up) but now i have all these coins and seeming like they arent worth anything and not even high grade. ( they dont even look nice) . how do you all know what to pull. i heard from my dealer there are 100s or 1000s of varations out there. how am i to know what to look for
    • i cant make heads of tails on 95% of this stuff. old coins make alto more sense. i dont get this soemone finds a new varation every day. type of stuff. drives me nuts trying to keep up . how am i to kno if i get somethign thats newly discovered or if its my nutty eyes goin nutty
    • Some collectors enjoy learning and searching for every variation.
      You don't have to. Collect what you find comfortable and enjoyable.

Respect what others collect and other collectors will respect you.
      Our differences is what keeps this hobby healthy and interesting.

Skipper

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i got the following coins at a coin shop
      franklin half
      58 PF 67
      60 pf66
      61 pf66
      62 pf67
      63 pf65

paid 186$ and from what im hearing even from you i got taken.

doesnt it seem odd that high grade coins like these should should be more scarce.
      yet it seems like for what i paid i shoudl have gotten it for at least half that.
      >>

and maybe you could have done better.... Did it occur to you to seek the counsel of this board or/and do some reasearch prior to purchase?

If you continue to purchase things whether its coins, cars, home, anything really, without equipping your self with knowledge prior to purchase, you may get burned over and over..... What you should take from this is the experience it brings you, and the desire to aquire knowledge so the next time you are a very informed and prepared buyer.
      imageBe Bop A Lula!!
      "Senorita HepKitty"
      "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
    • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭

<< <i>moderns are not good way to go. >>

and if you over pay on a Classic because you didn't equip yourself will you then say .

'Classics are not the way to go'????
      imageBe Bop A Lula!!
      "Senorita HepKitty"
      "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
    • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Most of the older coins in circulation aren't going to make you rich and since complete
      sets will prove impossible they may not provide a lot of enjoyment for you either. Wheat
      cents wholesale at less than three cents each. They generally are not worth the postage
      required to send them to a buyer. There are people having fun collecting these and I don't
      want to discourage anyone from collecting them from change, but the chances of finding
      a rare wheat cent in circulation is remote. Currently circulating coin is another story though.
      There are rare moderns being found on a continuing basis. From '69 DDO's to 1982 NMM
      dimes. Additionally there are some tough regular issues being found too. While a Fine '65
      quarter is distressingly common and even a well struck example isn't too hard to find, have
      you looked for a nice XF or AU '65? These are tough and with most of these there is a great
      deal to be learned in the search. You will find that the '65 is far easier to find than the '66.
      The mintage is only twice as great but the '66 is nearly twenty times tougher than the '65.
      Why is a choice '84 coin impossible? Older dates can be found in AU but the '84 won't be.
      You'll find yourself learning about many things other than simply coins when you collect these.
      It's true that generally the premiums for these is quite low or non-existent but the important
      thing is the enjoyment and the education you'll get, not the profit. By the same token though,
      how can a rare coin like an AU 1969 quarter with a sharp strike not gain a substantial premium?
      There are hundreds of thousands of newbies putting collections of the old clads together now.
      They will notice this coin is rare and at least a few will want to buy one.

The typical circulated '83-P is in an unattractive VF now days. They made nearly half a billion
      of the coin so typical examples will not be scarce for the foreseeable future. But when was
      the last time you saw a nice XF of this date or an AU. This coin does sell for up to $20 in AU
      and it can be found in circulation. There are other regular issues too that have a premium even
      in circulated condition.

Dealers have been slamming, bashing, and maligning these coins since even before they went
      up in value. Higher prices have spurred some to rail against them even more. There is absolutely
      no doubt that most dealers want nothing to do with these. It is common practice in most shops
      to just separate the silver from the clad and tell the prospective seller to just spend the clad.
      Mint sets traded over the counter for years at less than face value.

This is changing now but old habits die very hard for some.
      Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file