Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Polish Coin of the Week 4 - 1622 Poltorak, Sigismund Vasa

In the 1550’s the state of the Livonian Order fell apart, facing a Russian invasion. While most of Livonia turned to Poland for protection, the city of Reval and Northern Estonia accepted Swedish King Erik as their protector, an event which marked the begin of Swedish expansion in the Baltic region.

In 1563 Sweden found herself in war against Denmark, Poland, and Luebeck (the Nordic 7 Years War, 1563-1570). The Danes conquered Älvesborg, Sweden's access to the North Sea, which Sweden regained by paying a ransom.
A problem arose in 1587, when Swedish crown prince Sigismund Vasa was elected King of Poland, and, as a condition to being crowned, had to convert to Catholicism. In 1592 his father Johann III died and Sigismund was crowned King of Sweden as well, uniting Poland and Sweden in a dynastic union.

However, the Swedish church and nobility feared that Sigismund might attempt to reintroduce Catholicism by force (after it’s recent schism from the Catholic Church and it’s adoption of Lutheranism). Sigismund was deposed in 1600, but continued to rule in Poland until his death in 1632. He never gave up his claim to the Swedish throne, and his mere existence was perceived a threat by Lutheran Sweden.

Sweden now had two archenemies, Denmark and Poland.

Here is a silver Poltorak of 1622, Sigismund Vasa.

I know nothing about this coin. I have no idea what the devices signify. I need some help from you smarty 17th-century coin guys. I do know that the coin is extremely thin – I measure it at 1/2mm. Roller dies? I also understand that these coins have a typically weak strike. Also, it's about halfway between a US nickel and quarter in size.

Link to Polish Coin of the Week 3

We ARE watching you.

Comments

• Great piece of history, nice lesson, and cool coin........image
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    That's an interesting coin, John. I don't know if it's a product of roller dies, but I suspect it is.

Here's a 1592 Trojak from Sigismund Vasa.

And here's a 1624 Szostak.

Also, here's a shilling from Christina Vasa, 1635-54 which was minted in Livonia.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    I think yours might be a 1623--check the last digit (there are only two!); it looks different than the 2.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    I think yours might be a 1623--check the last digit (there are only two!); it looks different than the 2.

Yeah, funny you should say that. The pic I posted is the one from the auction. The coin I recieved actually looks quite different, and it was advertised as a 1622. The coin I received IS a 1622, because I remember looking at it very closely. Unfortunately, I'm not at home, and won't be for a few more days, but when I am, I'll scan my coin and post it on this thread.

To be honest with you, the coin I received actually looks better than the one in the auction pic: the devices on the coat of arms are far more distinguishable.

We ARE watching you.

• I have a very worn similarly designed 1625 thin silver coin from George William, Margrave of Brandenburg & Duke of Prussia (1612-40):
    imageimage
    I don't know if it is a 3 polcker KM-56 or 1/24 Thaler KM-116.1 under Brandenburg-Prussia. Any ideas?
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Jester, those are awesome coins! I love the sharp detail on the Trojak, and the distinctive off-center strike of the shilling.

Great stuff!

We ARE watching you.

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Another cool selection! image
    Sigis III is probably my favorite king of Poland coin-wise image

btw- here's my trojak
    imageimage
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image