Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

do Modern BGS cards cross to PSA?

im looking at buying this 2000 Black Diamond Dany Heatley rookie card, graded BGS 9. I would rather have it in a PSA holder, so if i buy it it will be crossed. would a BGS 9 cross to a PSA 9? here is the scan. thank for any help-

Comments

• Options
    Modern BGS very easily crosses over to PSA cases. BGS grades surfaces very hard and I've gone through a quite a few BGS modern cards with great subgrades (low on surface) and cross over very well to PSA.

Your card has subs of Centering 10; Corners 9; Edges 8.5; Surface 9.5. The weak point on this card is obviously the edges (probably due to the foil on the card) I currently own a PSA 10 card (similar foil) that has pretty bad chipping on the edges so you basically have to be lucky with the grader and hope they go easy on the edges.

The subs are strong on the card so it should at least cross over to a PSA 9. To be very honest with you...why would you want a PSA 9 of that issue? The BGS 9 should sell for more....unless you want it for a set I wouldn't try for the PSA 9 on that card.
    CB4
  • Options
    i collect only PSA 9's when it comes to hockey, mainly for uniformity in my collection. i dont plan on selling it any time soon, so resale value isnt really a problem.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think BGS has tougher standards on modern cards, so a crossover is not a problem. What is up with these stories I hear from board members where cards in BGS holders have been discovered trimmed?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    theyre talking about pre 1989 OPC hockey cards....BGS will grade them sheet-cut
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    There was also the "Mark Prior BGS 9 becoming a BGS 10 thanks to a trim" story that was broken on these boards.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    If a BGS 9 can cross to a BGS 9.5,this is a Fact. My guess it could to a PSA 10.I bought a Griffey jr Mothers Cookies #2 graded a BGS 9 w/subs 10/9.5/9/9 Broke it open and resubmitted.Came back 9.5/9.5/9.5/9 a BGS 9.5.Turn $18 into what a few hundred?
    COLLECT KEN GRIFFEY JR BGS 9.5 AND PSA 10'S THAT HAS NOT YET FOUND THEIR WAY INTO THE GREATEST GRADED GRIFFEY COLLECTION TO BE AMASSED....
    REF>EBAY
    scrubTK@aol.com
    hoorayforsocks24@yahoo.com
    Bruinswillraisethecup
    Dillpickles12772
    Tony27
  • Options
    Any card can bump up in grading. Just tracking the 1998 SP authentic Vince Carter (I recorded their grades for a few years) blew my mind...(PSA 8's become PSA 10's....BGS 8.5's becoming BGS 9.5's)....showed me how consistant grading was...

I love buying PSA 9's and if they are nice...crack them and resubmit to PSA or BGS.....in many cases I get them bumping up....
    CB4
  • Options
    Yeah,it's a kick when they pay off.I do the same thing,but mostly with beckett graded.Take a bgs 9 with solid subs crack her open and cross grade. I'm probably at a tad more then 50% in scoring,but only done it about a dozen times so far.
    COLLECT KEN GRIFFEY JR BGS 9.5 AND PSA 10'S THAT HAS NOT YET FOUND THEIR WAY INTO THE GREATEST GRADED GRIFFEY COLLECTION TO BE AMASSED....
    REF>EBAY
    scrubTK@aol.com
    hoorayforsocks24@yahoo.com
    Bruinswillraisethecup
    Dillpickles12772
    Tony27