Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Most condition sensitive issues of the 1980s?

Might a good list to make for everyone. Add any comments on why, will be cool to see what everyone thinks. All the 1986 Topps talk got me thinking.
Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
http://www.clark22murray33.com

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Real tough ones from my experience (in chronological order):

1980 Burger King Phillies
    1981 O-Pee-Chee
    1981 Drake's
    1981 Coca-Cola
    1981 and 1982 Squirt can be tough because of perforations
    1981 Kellogg's is pretty hard in 10
    1982 Drake's
    1984 Fleer Star Stickers
    1985 Donruss Leaf
    1986 Topps
    All Donruss Pop-Up sets
    1988 Donruss

Some of these sets are easy in 9 (like 1981 Kellogg's) but brutal in 10
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    1981 TCMA
    1988 topps
    1986 topps
    1984 Drakes

All very tough for me. 1986 topps the most difficult. I opened 4 rack Boxes I hit a good run of possible 9's Maybe a few 10's like Kirby Puckett and Tony Perez . I might submitt a few stars and see what happens.

James
    x
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    1987 Donruss, because of the black borders and poor centering.

1981 Donruss, possibly the worst cards ever made? Cheap, flimsy paper stock, awful centering, and blurry colors.

Of course, I am working on a 1980 Topps PSA set now, and we all know how tough that issue was.
  • Nice thread,

Hmmm in order just on regular sets in gem mint fashion.

1)86 topps
    2)81 donruss
    3)81 topps
    4)85 donruss
    5)87 or 88
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I would have thought the 1985 Topps football w/ its all black borders (akin to '71 baseball) would have been mentioned by now...jay
  • Jay,

Correct, been on a one track mind yes 85 football would be first.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

1981 o pee chee hockey is a bear and numero uno on this collectors list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1985 donruss highlights(great set i suggest you check it out.tons of hof ers and great shots!terrible on centeroing and corners+ black boarders and they are pretty tough in mint grade)

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭

<< <i>Of course, I am working on a 1980 Topps PSA set now, and we all know how tough that issue was. >>

If the card is near 50/50 on the front or 50/50,no surface chipping,full gloss.4 sharp corners and a minimum of 1 to 2 red flags like a booger/zit or minor allowance of edge chipping or the pesky black spots on the white borders (Mostly seen where player name's ink is black) then it will have a shot of a 10.

The most consistent thing I see is sharp Corners and a clean surface with no paint chipping under mangnification for 10s and none are 90/10 on the back although the centering is at least placed somewhat evenly on the back.

• pcpc Posts: 743
    AIDS
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • i agree, 1981 OPC hockey is hard as hell. ive acquired 5 cards (murphy, moog, stastny, lowe, and propp) all in PSA 9, and ive paid dearly for them.

toughest 80's hockey sets-

1. 1981 OPC
    2. 1980 OPC
    3. 1985 OPC
    4. 1984 OPC
    5. all the other OPC sets

<< <i>AIDS >>

• << <i>AIDS >>

ha, I meant cards image
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com

<< <i>

<< <i>Of course, I am working on a 1980 Topps PSA set now, and we all know how tough that issue was. >>

If the card is near 50/50 on the front or 50/50,no surface chipping,full gloss.4 sharp corners and a minimum of 1 to 2 red flags like a booger/zit or minor allowance of edge chipping or the pesky black spots on the white borders (Mostly seen where player name's ink is black) then it will have a shot of a 10.

The most consistent thing I see is sharp Corners and a clean surface with no paint chipping under mangnification for 10s and none are 90/10 on the back although the centering is at least placed somewhat evenly on the back. >>

Thanks, Rob...I am filtering through my raw sets now putting together a nice bunch of 1980 for submission. I actually have a Henderson that is centered amazingly well (near 50/50), and I am curious to see how PSA treats it.

Also, how about 1985 Fleer baseball? I just broke a wax box of this looking for gradeable cards, and the best cards (Clemens, Puckett, Ryan etc.) are tough to find well-centered.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i just busted a factory 1986 topps set.. i found 4 cards that might qualify for 10's (that means I would get three 9s and one 8).. everything else in the set I busted had horrible centering, and I can find a white spot on that black border every time.
    ·p_A·

<< <i>

<< <i>

The most consistent thing I see is sharp Corners and a clean surface with no paint chipping under mangnification for 10s and none are 90/10 on the back although the centering is at least placed somewhat evenly on the back. >>

Thanks, Rob...I am filtering through my raw sets now putting together a nice bunch of 1980 for submission. I actually have a Henderson that is centered amazingly well (near 50/50), and I am curious to see how PSA treats it.

Also, how about 1985 Fleer baseball? I just broke a wax box of this looking for gradeable cards, and the best cards (Clemens, Puckett, Ryan etc.) are tough to find well-centered. >>

Just expect my speculation to produce 9s.

More qualified submistters that can help would be PurelyPSA and Wabbitwax.They've done more submissions for 1980 than anyone from the board.

Well here is an email from a friend who just did an 80 submission.

Well I got the results of my first submission to PSA back the other day. Ouch! I got clobbered. Out of 50 submissions I only got 12 - 9s. I would have been happy with 25 - 9s as I thought at least 40 of them had a legitimate shot. The good thing was I didn't get anything lower than an 8 (except one that was a Henderson which I knew was a 7) but I wasn't too happy with it. I'm thinking I may have gotten a tough grader and will probably resend a good portion of those 8s as they sure as hell look like 9s to me, especially under a 10x loupe. This set sure is tough.

Wow, not exactly encouraging news there! I will be sending my submission of 1980 next week (50 or so cards), and I'll be sure to let you know how I did. I am using a loupe, and have always done fairly well in the past with my submissions. Let's hope the run continues!

• << <i>Real tough ones from my experience (in chronological order):

1980 Burger King Phillies
    1981 Drake's
    1981 Kellogg's is pretty hard in 10
    1982 Drake's
    1984 Fleer Star Stickers
    1986 Topps
    All Donruss Pop-Up sets (I have unopened 86 and 87 boxes)
    1988 Donruss
    >>

Mark,

Is this really true and is there a market for these in 10? Because I literally have boxes of these cards unopened. Especially Drake's, Kelloggs, Pop-ups, and Fleer Stickers.

I was a sick child. Ask "Putty"....he's seen my twisted world (and collection) with his own eyes recently.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • hands down 1986 Topps. Cool design with no regard to quality printing or cutting. Only 13 10s ever awarded for this issue.
    cheers,
    minibeers
    1966T, 1971T, 1972T raw and in 8s
    1963T Dodgers in 8s
    Pre-war Brooklyn 5s or higher