Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

NFL Hall of Famer Elroy (Crazy Legs) Hirsch dies....

<< <i>Hall of Famer 'Crazy Legs' Hirsch dies at 80

Jan. 28, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports

MADISON, Wis.
-- Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch, an NFL Hall of Famer and later the athletic director at the University of Wisconsin, died early Wednesday. He was 80.

Hirsch died of natural causes at an assisted living facility, according to Wisconsin assistant AD Steve Malchow.

He earned his nickname for his running style as a halfback and receiver for the NFL's Los Angeles Rams in the NFL from 1949-57. Before that, he played for the Chicago Rockets of the All-America Football Conference.

Hirsch became a key part of the Rams' revolutionary "three-end" offense in 1949. His best season was 1951, when he led the NFL with 66 catches, 1,495 yards receiving and 17 touchdowns.

In college, Hirsch starred at Wisconsin for one season, then completed his career at Michigan.

He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1968.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved >>

I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
TUSTIN CA

Comments

• Options
    Quick! List all of your Hirsch cards on ebay! It's just too bad old age got him instead of something like ephedra or a bear attack!

[/sarcasm off] image

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Quick! List all of your Hirsch cards on ebay! It's just too bad old age got him instead of something like ephedra or a bear attack!

[/sarcasm off]

I don't see the humor here. "Crazy Legs" was a great player.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to be funny. I wasn't alive when he played, but I know he was a great player from his stats, and what I have seen on NFL Films. I was making a comment on the ebay sellers that rush to list items of a player or celebrity or space ship whenever a death or something tragic happens. Check ebay; the current auctions for Hirsch autographs outnumber the completed auctions from the last two weeks. I know it's capitalism, but I think it is at least a little bit shady ethically to do something like that.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    Crazy Legs was not only a player that lived up to his name. He also starred in the movies and was a heart-throb for the chicks in the 50's. We all wish we lived Elroys life!!!

RIP Crazy Legs....your highlight films showed just how much fun you must've been to watch.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"