Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Seriously....Man its not fun being serious.

I have a question though. How do you determine if a coin is worthy to be sent in for regrade ? Price potential from the submission ? It may be a Pop Top after submission ? You think the coin is under graded ? Just because its worth a shot ? Other ?

Help please. Some advice is needed on this subject.....image

Percentage wise how has this worked out for yourself ?

Ken

Comments

• Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I just flip a coin!image

Sometimes I draw a circle on the ground. I toss all the coins in the air. The coins that land inside the circle get graded.

Sometimes I let my dog pick which one should be graded. His sense of smell can detect marks.
    He seems to like the coins with the least marks.

If all else fails, I grade them my self. Using my grade, I determine if I can recover the grading fees at that grade. At that point, it's no guts, no glory. The rest I give to the dog!

edited to add: I have about a 90% success rate for crossover, probablt 20% success at upgrade if I add in added designations. That said, I havent submitted anything in about 2 yrs.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    I usually email good photos to my friend Ken and ask his opinion. Now I am really confused!

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    If a coin clearly IMO deserves the upgrade I crack and send in, if you are worried about downgrades then your grading skills are not good enough and you should not be playing the game.

Percentage wise how has this worked out for yourself ? Probably 25% for me but those ones that make it more than pay for the "regrades".
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne it is pretty easy to give a opinion on a coin you do not own. With a coin you own sometimes the opinion is bias......image

Crack the coin out.....I cluck much louder than any chicken when this is suggested. I trust the grading skills I have but what about the next persons skill/opinion ?

Ken
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Ken,

I know what you mean. I have a couple in for grading that I cracked out and am hoping for upgrades. I was just giving you a hard time! imageimage

You'll never hit a home run if you don't swing at the ball. Trust your instincts and take a chance on one.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com