Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Underrated scarcity

I think even at £65 in Spink, the 1921 shilling in highest grade is one of the more unappreciated scarce coins in the George V series. Over 22 million were minted, but few are found in excellent condition because of the change to debased silver. The mint had not yet mastered the process of the new material and most of the coins turned out ugly.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. This coin is perhaps as tough in XF. Typically they are seen VG or lower
    and nicer specimens get more difficult at each level. There are a couple tougher coins
    from this era.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I had a pretty rare opportunity of buying a 21 shilling last month, but didn't because I thought I had no chance of realizing a sale. Good point, Wybrit.

Anyone have Coincraft? Little write up in there.

L
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Great looking coin!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Now that is Sweet image
    ANA Member R-213302
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what this particular shilling is worth, but the seller is usually very expensive on mediocre coins. Lloyd should know him better I think.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    The man who put the 'Lock' in Lockdales is Stephen Lockett of London Coin Auctions. He no longer takes an active role in Lockdales (the seller in question).

Lockdales are an extremely professional outfit. Very good business people. I was told by Stephen Lockett that they have enough quality stock to sell on Ebay for the next five years without buying in any new stuff. Lockdales and LCA seem to have endless resources of variable quality bulk coins. They sort into "priced-to-retail-at" bags. For instance: ptra £12, ptra £6, ptra £3 etc.

They're grading is very accurate, but as with all dealers it will vary from one's own personal opinion on occassions.

They also give the punter a chance. They don't get down to the minute variety analysis for copper. And they brag about it. I know it works because I'm stuck in front of their trays at fairs for hours on end. And the bargains are definitely there. (Really, it's because of Carly, they're office administrator).

Very good and fair business people. Highly efficient.

Crap photos though, which should be to the buyers advantage.

I was told that the heads of both organizations are multi-millionaires, and it's all been through coin dealing.

Nice people

EDITED TO ADD: the final price may be too high for this auction since the coin is probably not max grade. But the winner of the auction buys a lot from me and he isn't stupid. He knows this date hardly ever shows up in high grade. And don't forget that $128.50 is only £8.00 these days image

L
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Met Mr. Lockett at a coin fair in London several years ago and did a swap for some nice BU shillings. Didn't realize he started up the East Anglia outfit.
  • Options
    I said above that the coin wasn't max grade. If they say it's unc it's unc. The coin went for a fair price.

L
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. The coin is worth at least that much.
  • Options

<< <i>Met Mr. Lockett at a coin fair in London several years ago and did a swap for some nice BU shillings. Didn't realize he started up the East Anglia outfit. >>

I'm not sure if they began in London and moved out to carrot-cruncherland.

L
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The mint had not yet mastered the process of the new material and most of the coins turned out ugly. >>

"Fugly," the term is "fugly."
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com