Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Do you have the same slab type in your set?

Does your set have all the same type of PCGS slabs or are they mixed?
If you ever re-slabbed a coin so that all the slabs look alike?
PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a mixture of at least three different types (probably more if you get picky on label colors, text placement, etc). No plans to make them all the same.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I look at the coins not the slabs!image

Besides, I am a Type collector, so my collection does not have a uniform "look" anyway.
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I was looking at my SAE set and noticed a few different styles of PCGS slabs. I was curious if anyone had theirs reslabbed to have a unifrom look to them. I don't have any plans to do that but I was curious if anyone else had.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Mine are mixed. While I like having some of the earlier ones, they don't stack well, nor do first gen fit weill in current boxes.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mixed - all generations of PCGS, NGC, ANACS, one NCS and a few air-tites. I don't even try to stack them! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tootawl,
    I prefer to have all of my slabs look the same and have them all in new slabs. I know that they have been graded in the last 3-4 years and they look cool that way, but on the flip side, it doesn't matter to me 1 bit, because if it is a coin that I need for my set, then by all means I would buy it regardless of what generation slab it has.

Have a good one,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been buying slabbed coins since 1987, and must have at least 6 or 7 different PCGS slab/label/hologram combinations. It doesn't matter to me my coins are in the same type holder or not. A lot of people believe that coins in the older holders are more conservatively graded, and pay more for them in the hopes that they'll upgrade. I know that I probably have a few dozen that would upgrade today, but I don't see much point (other than raising a Registry GPA by a couple hundredths of a point) in attempting to upgrade until I'm ready to sell.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Mixed
  • Options
    I once sent some old smaller PCGS holders in to get a better
    fit in an Eagle album. It did look nicer when they all were the
    same style slab. I may do it again sometime for some of my
    green insert PCGS slabs I have bought since then.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    when they're all sittin' nice and tight, all the same, in Eagle albums, I have to admit, they look marvelous! image
  • Options
    I have a mix and they will stay that way unles the slab gets too scratched.
  • Options
    My set is mixed with many type PCGS holders. There is also a good amount of NGC coins in my collection.
    I do have every Date and Mint. I have all but 3 or 4 dates in PCGS. If I crossed over, I could complete my registry, but it hasnt been a priority. I also have multiple of Dates, and mint marks due to finding nicely toned examples.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I have PCGS and NGC slabs. I've sent a few first generation slabs in for reholdering. It was a real pain to transport them since they dont fit properly into the PCGS/NGC boxes.

David
  • Options
    BowAxeBowAxe Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Mine are mixed and I've never felt like it mattered. I have one coin that I acquired in a Teletrade auction, a 1916 D/D Barber quarter, housed in the huge, bizarre-looking PCGS "Regency" holder (I believe that's what it's called) that comes in its own green velveteen cloth bag. I was astonished when it arrived. I don't even know if PCGS offers these holders any longer, and I would NEVER have that coin reholdered because the slab and bag are so quaint.

Dell