Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Someone thinks Burbanks Sportscards is the best thing ever!

I had a guy walk in today desperate to find a 1996 Playoff Prime Daryl Johnston #20 to finish the set that he's been working on for the past 8 years. He says he's been to every card shop in every town he's been to trying to find it. I told him that his best shot was with Neil Hoppenworth or Burbank Sportscards and gave him their phone numbers. I just for the heck of it gave a try on Burbank's Beckett store and sure enough they have five of the card in stock. The guy pumped his fist he was so happy that I located one for him, and we joked at how he probably wasted $500 in gas to track down a .25 cent card. He didn't care at all that he'll have to pay .75 cents plus probably $2 shipping for a .25 cent card, there's little doubt in my mind that he would've paid $10 for the card without blinking. Nothing special to report here, just glad to see that there are those out there that love the hobby without thought to value or bragging about their million dollar sets on the set registry to measure genitalia. Despite what everyone says is ridiculously high prices (and part of me agrees), Burbank Sportscards just made someone's collecting dream with a basically worthless card. Long live the true collector, a dying creature...
Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I agree with your customer image. Burbank has been an excellent resource for me to track down obscure cards I need, and to buy cheap cards in bulk to screen for submitting. They are almost military in their organization, and store their cards well so they stay in good shape. They are also not ALWAYS expensive - I bought 3 PSA 8 1962 Fleer cards from them for under SMR. They'll pull your order and let you pick it up at the store, too.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    In the past, while I was a teen, that store supplied me with all kinds of cards I have been looking for. They had everything I wanted back then. With the advent of ebay, I don't bother with them anymore.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Burbank Sportscards fills a need in the market. When you are looking to finish a set and are 10-20 cards away from completion, who cares if the cards book for .25 cents and they are selling them for .75 cents. The bottom line is one-stop shopping convenience. This particular topic has been debated before with some people dead set against buying from Burbank. I look at them as another option in the market.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    value of card - .25
    amount of gas used - $500
    finishing a set - priceless

Good deal image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards