Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Forgotten Merc series has been discovered.

Or so it seems from prices seen on Web Sites and in auctions. Personally I have almost been priced out of the market for what is needed.....image. Basically I thought the series could be completed at a reasonable rate when I started up collecting Mercs again in 1997. Maybe too much Dilly Dalling was done in the last two years. image

Ken

Comments

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you - while started not that long ago I have had a real battle finding my final 7-8 coins in the state of preservation I require AND within a "normal" price. So don't feel alone.

Marc
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I am looking for low end Uncs and I am having a hard time finding them for the few Non-Keys I still need. I can't imagine how tough it is to find the high grade stuff with some of those years. You competition for the higher grades must be ten times more than what I am trying to accomplish. As you can see by my link below, I would be happy with MS61 no band coins (or even as low as MS60).

All the circulated stuff in my set I consider place holders, but I could be a long time before those get upgraded.

I wish you guys more luck than I am having.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pricing put me on the sidelines in the late eighties and it looks like it might happen again. This time the coins can be kept though. TPG has also made it so the coins will not depreciate grade wise along with the price if the market goes south. This confidence was not had in 1988.

What has really caught my eye is the prices Heritage is asking for non auction coins lately. A 1916P Merc is up for $1300 when just less than 2 years ago they let a great coin go for $750. A pretty steep price is on the MS65FB 1928S they have also. Over $2000 and it looks like a dog compared to the one I have. Others in the last two months have been seen also.

Oh Well...

Ken
  • GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Same thing has happened to me in MS Ikes.....I can't afford to upgrade any and there are only 21 coins in the set.image
    Any upgrade would be $3K or better!image
    My only hope is to "make" one.

Gandyjai
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Ken, I agree with you and that is why I am into the NB coins. However, it will be a challenge to complete at that level. I am in this for the long haul, but 30K for a 23 in 68 is waaaaaay over the top. However, I am not in that rarified air.

This is what I meant by the market being thin at the top in another thread. How many people can and WILL support those price levels? I dont think all that many for Mercs. My other question is will this series attract new blood when the current top sets get broken up because the owners eventually pass.

On the other hand, it may push some new coins out on the market. Only time will tell. Hang in there Ken, the little ladies need you.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see I'm not the only one having problems trying to finding the right dime for the right price.
    Like so many others I would be happy witha low unc 60,61,or 62. and in some key date cases even a very nice 55 or 58.
    The prices are just too high for me now but I still look I JUST may find something out there.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is why I buy the keys first.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!