Home Q & A Forum
Options

For your consideration.

DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
David,

Lately the backlog of orders seems to be significant. I'm sure holidays and shows have a pretty negative impact. I had an idea I thought I'd float by you regarding a way to possibly improve the submitter experience.

I believe most submitters choose a tier based on a sometimes false expectation of a completion date. I'm sure PCGS has little control over the number of submissions, and PCGS also obviously has a need to grade at shows and to maintain turnaround time for higher tier submissions.

For Modern and economy only, perhaps it is possible to reduce the aggrevation factor for submitters by putting in place a variation of the system butchers have used for years, the "take a number" system. If PCGS were to put up numbers at the beginning of each workday indicating which order # they were starting the day with, which # was the next available order #, and how many orders they were averaging per day, PCGS could then simply assign a number to each incoming modern or economy invoice and put it in the email back to the submitter (you're already generating the email). The submitter would then know exactly where they were in the system. Additionally, if PCGS were to make available a calendar showing which days they would be grading, it would help the submitter make a good decision regarding level of service. It would also place the responsibility for choosing that tier firmly in the hands of the submitter. This system would also allow submitters to see improvements in grading speed when they occur, and know when PCGS is simply swamped with orders. Submitters would certainly be more understanding of delays if they knew it was because other submitters beat them to the mailbox. Obviously, you could continue to process more expensive tiers in the fashion they're processed now. Another point of contention this approach would resolve is seeing orders that arrived later being processed before orders that were put in the system earlier. Since submitters tend to view TPG's as public utilities rather than for profit companies, a transparent system such as this one would promote goodwill for all. I appreciate the audience.

Don

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Comments