Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thinking about throwing away PSA slabbed cards

I have a mountain of PSA cards that are lower grade, most of them are from my early days of submitting. My eye is much better now, but what to do with these cards? Should I list them on E Bay? Well, they are more than likely $1-$4 cards at best, and some may not even sell. When you take in consideration the listing expenses, a 33% sell rate makes no money, a 50% sell rate makes peanuts. I have considered selling them inlots, but is there a demand for multilple lower grade cards? The grades are 5,6 &7, some with qualifiers. They got to go, but I need some suggestions of how to go about it, othere than trashing them.

A few examples;
72 Topps FB #73 PSA 7 (st)
72 Topps FB #142 PSA 6
70 Topps FB #252 PSA 6
70 Topps Fb # 67 PSA 8 (oc)

Thanks for any input.

RobBob
Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

Comments

• Options
    I would lot them up by set and let them fly. the only cards i would list solo were those i was positive would sell cards like a staubach rookie or a namath ia cards like that the rest just lot by set and you may do better then you expect i have been shocked on the occasional low grade prices .image
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Have you considered making some sort of sculpture or artwork out of them?

How about coasters which are sure to spark conversation at your next dinner party.

Have kids with BB Guns? Great target practice the whole family can enjoy!

There are just SO MANY things you can do with these. The LEAST FUN you will have is selling them.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Carew

Maybe your right, I might be thinking about this the wrong way. Maybe a wind chime? Who knows.

Rob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Send them to Cavalcade of Sports - it only costs a postage stamp!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    RobBobGolf, if you have any PSA 6, 7, 8oc or 9oc 1962 Fleer football i would be interested in those if the price is right. I buy those cards to crack out and put in my "raw"/ungraded set.

PLMK.
    Paul
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    you could add them as "spam bait" to your other auctions! image

like this! 1956 Topps #135 Mickey Mantle 8 NM-MT + PSA
    imageimage
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Give them to a young collector, like me!!!

Dennis
  • Options
    break them out and sell them raw.........
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Send them to Cavalcade of Sports - it only costs a postage stamp! >>

MS - Good Memory, I rec'd 2 PSA slabs w/ nothing but my address & a postage stamp. Both were total surprises.
    1 was a Clemens '85 Topps PSA-8 from a fellow dealer, and another was from Fab4 a '70 Kelloggs Lolich PSA-8.

Regarding what to do w/ the PSA slabs, you can give as a donation, I sent 4 that were lying around to geoff when I sent him a few thousand raw cards 2 weeks ago, I imagine he'll give them out as prizes in his class.

or you can use them as fillers for an order, the legendary Zardoz, actually sent me 2 Canseco PSA-8 rookies w/ an order of mine. He put 1 on top and the other on the bottom. When I told him I rec'd it, he said the Canseco's were cheaper then using cardboard....Ahhh, I miss the "Z" ....jay
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Zardoz was a great guy with some great posts
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    what will you take for all of em?
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>....Ahhh, I miss the "Z" ....jay >>

<< <i>Zardoz was a great guy with some great posts >>

is he gone?
    I know he has not posted lately but
    did something happen to him?
    or did he get banned or something?

you all are talking like he "passed away"

imageimage
  • Options
    When i get a bunch of lower grade or cheap slabs (cards that are worth less than $10 each graded) i sell them in lots of five or more cards to a lot on eBay and they always sell....some at good prices. This way you can get some money out of them insted of just throwing/giving them away.

Just my 2 cents.
    Paul.
  • Options
    << Zardoz was a great guy with some great posts >>

What did happen to Zardoz? I was just thinking the other day that i hadn't seen him post in a while.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of just donating some to ydsotter, who can actually put these to good use in the class room. His students know they can get raw cards from him, but wait for their reaction when he can offer vintage cards in those nice official PSA holders. He can give them out as prizes and make somthing educational out of it like before handing a kid the slab, he must go and research some facts about the player. That way, kids will learn how to conduct research using the internet or encyclopedia and get an interesting prize which they could only dream about. THis will solve your problem of clutter and ease your conscience that they are not lost in vain. Kids would be so excited. You will be contributing to education. You will be promoting the hobby.

Look at it this way. BKAH once received a PSA card cracked while in transit. It was a small dollar amount, so he did not make a fuss. He simply gave it to the neighbors kid. The kid was elated. He taped up the cracked slab and still has it in his room. Most of all, he thinks BKAH is the bomb! You can't put a price on those things.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Since you guys are mentioning Zardoz, maybe he is making a movie: Zardoz II along with Sean Connery

link to Zardoz I:link

Its about time they have a sequel to this classic
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>....Ahhh, I miss the "Z" ....jay >>

<< <i>Zardoz was a great guy with some great posts >>

is he gone?
    I know he has not posted lately but
    did something happen to him?
    or did he get banned or something?

you all are talking like he "passed away" >>

Zardoz is still around (got an email from him the other day), he just doesn't post to these forums for the time being.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    Yes, Zardoz is doing well. Just received a shipment of cardsavers from him. Good guy. I miss his input and humor.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion