Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Polish coin(s) of the week 3

The rule of Mieszko I (?-992) and his son Boleslaw, nicknamed “Chrobry” (the Brave), marks the initial uniting of Polish tribes into a modern state. Boleslaw Chrobry was instrumental in promoting trade, minting coinage, forming governmental administration, and strengthening ties to the Catholic Church. Under the cooperation of Mieszko I and Boleslaw Chrobry, Poland gained the territories of Pomerania, Malopolska and Silesia from 972 to 990. More importantly, Poland became an important political force in the European arena.

Several wars, skillfully managed by Mieszko and Boleslaw, not only secured the territories of Czerwien, Moravia, and Lusatia, but strengthened the borders of Poland, and ultimately led to Otto the Third’s recognition of the Poles as his main ally in the process of uniting Europe under Imperial rule at the Congress of Gniezno (1000).

Boleslaw Chrobry’s coronation took place in 1025, and the following coins commemorate the 900th anniversary of that coronation. The 10 zlotych piece has a diameter of 19mm, weighing 3.225g of .900 gold, with a reeded edge. Mintage = 50,350. The 20 zlotych piece has a diameter of 21mm, weighing 6.451g of .900 gold, with a reeded edge. Mintage = 27,240.

Both of these coins were minted in Warsaw during the Second Republic, but never released for circulation.

I acquired these pieces from a dealer-friend of mine, Andy Amirski.

Link to polish coin of the week 2

We ARE watching you.

Comments

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that most of the mintage of those two coins were moved around the world during WWII to prevent them being captured by the Nazis. The details escape me, but I found the story fascinating when I read it. Any details?
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Those coins are very impressive. I had no idea Poland had such cool coins.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I didn't realize the mintages were so relatively low. They are nice coins, sometimes with proof-like surfaces, and come in different shades of gold--yellow and pinkish-yellow. They are still commonly available, but that might not be true in 5 years.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    1jester - do you know by a chance what the average market value of these coins is, in Poland for instance?
    Severo, a Numismatically Disturbed Individual
  • Options
    Not offhand, but I can check.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    If it's not a problem, it would be interesting to know.
    Severo, a Numismatically Disturbed Individual
  • Options
    Very impressive coins JohnZ! image
    N. N.
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    The current market value of the two coins together is about $275.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    It looks like you can't find them for lower than $300 for the pair; $210 for the 20 zlotych piece and $90 for the 10 zlotych.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Poland indeed has some very nice coins and I especially like those of the 2nd Republic. Looks like I might want to get a pair of these myself while the price is still reasonable.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Speaking of relative prices, about 6 years ago I paid less than $50 for the 10 zlotych piece. Part of the price increase since then must be attributable to the falling dollar, however.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    I have the 10 Zlotye around my neck all the time.

Mark
  • Options
    Mark, that's neat! Perhaps if you drilled a hole in it, you could convince LordMarcovan to wear one.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Sorry No drilling will be done on this one. The lord will have to get his own.

Mark
  • Options
    All this talk of drilling and bezeling my beloved Polish coins.....sigh.

Are you guys trying to piss me off? image

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Actually, I've got some coin jewelry myself. I would never have coins made into jewelry, but if it's already a done deal and I like it, well sometimes I just give in. Check this out: California Gold.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    imageimageimage

imageimageimage
    .....GOD