Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Who is this Guy????

I have been picking up 1954 topps PSA 7's NQ on ebay for about $23-$27 a piece. This bidder Lafayette43 is picking them up constantly and alway's paying $40.00-$50.00 for 7's.

Deep pockets and doesn't like to lose.

Just wondering if he has driven anything up anyone else collects,

Glen

Comments

• Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    He is a very strong buyer. Collects multiple sets.
  • Options
    Glen....

"Deep pockets and doesn't like to lose"...

Yeah... That pretty much sums it up......

I think everybody on this board has had a "go-around" with Lafayette43.....

There's always tomorrow...image

Good Luck !!

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Unless you don't like to lose either, just get out of his way. He's blown through many other sets, paying whatever is necessary, but he's usually quick about it. I just wish he'd register his sets, unless he has under a different name. He must have some stuff to show.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    When I was heavily collecting 75 minis, he smoked everyone. He got every card he wanted. He must have an impressive graded collection by now, because he has worked on several sets since then.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    he registered his 75 set and then sold on ebay for loss of about 5 grand. he smoked (to say the least) every 76 topps card he could bid on. he moved on to 78's for a minute. i know he had a 57 addiction to but 54's is new to me?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    i put the 75 set on the back burner when this guy was a player in that market. he won a PSA 8 tug mcgraw for 60+ , a year later i got one for 14. i hope he stays away from 72 until i can reach 90%.
  • Options
    He buys a lot of stuff over a period of a few months but then has sold it after that time period.
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Options
    I would put the check book, pay pal account information and credit cards away for now cause you will not win going up against this ebay buyer, unless your pockets are real deep.

I while back he was bidding against me on 54' Bowman and 57' Topps cards and it seemed like if he wanted a certain card- no mater what the pop report or smr would say he would throw crazy numbers after them.

You will be better off going on vacation to the Carribean and coming back in a month or two and let him load up on his needs then you can pick up the pieces, all for fractions of what he had paid.

............Just my opinion.
    Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej
  • Options
    Glen

I had battles with him on the 68 and 69. I also am a aggressive buyer and we went head to head. I was happy to see him move on as a buyer. From a sellers view you are happy to see him on your auctions. He has bought from me and is a very timely payer. Hang in there he will go away and move on to the next set.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I ran across him (or more appropriately - got run over BY him) while he dabbled with 68's and 69's. The folks are right... Unless you've got money to burn - get outta the way!

Highend - welcome to the boards AND to the 72 set! Which 72 set is yours on the registry?
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Why not take advantage of the situation and sell your '54 PSA-7s for a nice profit. When he moves on, replace them at a later date for at a reasonable cost and apply the profits from your sales towards completing or upgrading your set.

• Options
    Thats what I should do. You can pick up 8's for about $50-$60. I should sell the 7's and make $20 bucks a pop, then pick up 8's. I can't believe the prices these 54's are going for. Right now I am walking away for a while or just accepting the fact that if he wants them he can have them because I am sticking with my high bid and not chasing. Since getting rid of the 1969's I have put most of that money away because I just bought a house and I am about 10% into the 1954 set in 7's.
  • Options
    You ned to find out what he is buying and then sell! I was #5 on th 1957 Topps registry at one time and watching him and the now #1 binge turned me into a seller. They were bidding $500 for low pop PSA 8 commons that I submitted myself or purchsed for $40. I am currently working on the 1955 Topps set, but have not run across lafayette43.
    Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You ned to find out what he is buying and then sell! I was #5 on th 1957 Topps registry at one time and watching him and the now #1 binge turned me into a seller. They were bidding $500 for low pop PSA 8 commons that I submitted myself or purchsed for $40. I am currently working on the 1955 Topps set, but have not run across lafayette43. >>

Browntoni:

I wonder if any of the above is directed at me... imageimageimage
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Not intended at you, although I do like the way you behave!image
    Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I've battled him on 1957's. Generally, he eventully sells whatever he buys.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    fb,

thanks for the welcome. i'm glad to be on board. i haven't registered my set at this point. i'll probably wait until i crack at least 50 % completion (i'm about 50-60 cards from that point). i'm trying to do the 72's in mostly 9's, so it's kind of a slow go. i've had alot of luck submitting raw 72's lately and will probably continue that way for a while (i had the schall ia graded 8 recently, a bunch of low pop 9's including the ollie brown and a handful of 10's). the really good news is that so far i've only had two "misses" while submitting '72's a 7 and 9 oc. i ran into you a couple of times on Ebay, i went pretty hard for that 72 murcer ia in psa 10. i've admired your awesome 72 set great job!!, i have no illusions of even coming close. as far as i'm concerned your set is the benchmark for 72's , keep nailing those 10's and you'll be untouchable. best of luck...........jim
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    That is why it is best not to get too emotional about completing and/or upgrading your sets. If or when you do have to sell, it is best not to take a bath because your ego couldn't be kept in check.