Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

David Poole coppers how did they do?

Well I completely missed watching the auction and I'm too impatient to wait for the prices realized. Anyone with some updates on how they faired?

Rich

Comments

• I think they did quite well overall. Some of the latter date stuff did not do too well but the early stuff did well. I was going to bid on the 27-S but at close to $4K for a 64RD it was out of my range.

Brian
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive just got a minute between the Superior auction and the Goldberg auction.

I thought the Poole collection did about as I expected after lot viewing the collection. Good money for the 1909-33 portion and a slight pullback off very high recent prices on the 34-58 portion. I believe the set was reserved in a masterful way, as many of the coins were right there around proper reserve level. Other coins got spirited bidding and surprised nearly everyone. I really liked the 25(s) and 26(s) in 64RD and got blown out of the water on each coin - that was a bit surprising. Ditto for the 27(s), but it was a nice coin.

I did manage to win (3) coins in the early years and a couple in the latter years, but enjoyed observing the action in any event.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch described it accurately. Some strong prices early, weaker for the later stuff. I thought the bidders knew what they were doing, and that they bid based on the lot viewing, not on the slab. Quick sum of the hammer was $251,470, give or take. Didn't take into account reserves. That was about what I'd expected.

Thanks for bidding, those who did!

I miss you Lincoln guys already! imageimageimageimage
    And being the good Registry citizen that I am, I let the ax fall on my set on the Lincoln Registry tonight. Everybody moves up a slot!

Edited to add: ...even Stewart! image
  • Wow the 49-P went for huge money for a 66RD. I just sold one for $325 that was very nice. The 54-P went for $200 Ouch.

• When will we be able to see the prices realized?

Brian- How much did the 49-P go for?

Can anyone tell me (maybe David) what the 50-S, 51-S, and 54-D went for??

I would appreciate any info...since I bid on those 3 (absentee).
    Marc
  • >>Brian- How much did the 49-P go for?

$850 hammer

>>>50-S, 51-S, and 54-D went for??

50-S $1100
    51-S $800
    54-D $850

54-P ...drum roll... $200.00 - David was this a bad coin?

The 54-P was solid. Can't explain that one. Maybe everybody bid based on Trends or something. image
  • Honestly I would blame that on the superior pic. It did not look great from the pic but a solid coin should go for more than $300 if not $400. I would have taken it at $300 even though I have one. It was so hard for me to make mine I should have paid $400 for one 2 years ago. Lord knows I spent that much on grading fees. BTW I still have 65RD's for sale image

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure the 49(p) realized $850. There was a mix up and they had to rebid around 8 lots. It came to the auctioneer's attention when Andy found himself bidding against me at $100 for a 1950(p) in PCGS-MS67RD image

If I am not mistaken, the 49(p) properly bid out around $300 or so.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Good memory, Mitch! My notes are the 49-P went for $225.

I was wondering why they backtracked to Lot 1990, although I did get suspicious when they 1948-P in 66 when for $600, and the 1948-D in 67 went for $200!
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I think I bought David's 18-s and 26-d! I'm very happy with the fairly strong but not ridiculous prices I paid. The 18-s actually might be the most I've ever paid for a Lincoln Cent (about $100 more than my 14-d, and $200 more than my 26-s). I think chances are they'll be great coins I'll love! I hope so at least! I asked David lots of questions about them and he gave me very helpful answers.
  • Congratulations, David! image

I would have been watching live except I had computer problems... (so what else is new?)

• David

Congratulations on a very successful sale.

Gerry
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I bet there are some happy new Lincoln owners out there tonight.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
    Congratulations David! Many people thing the cap stone on any collection is adding the last coin. Actually it's selling! David, I know was unable to attend the auction, but I'm sure he viewed it on-line. He collected the coins, enjoyed owning them, and I'm sure, enjoyed giving others a chance to own them. I did the same thing a few weeks ago and I was glad I did.

I mean it when I say the best thing you can take away from this hobby is good friends. I'm glad my interest in Lincoln Cents enabled me to know DavidP. Great guy, great collector, beautiful set of coins. I was able to view David's coins at the Texas Numismatic Assn. Convention this past year and was very impressed. Nice job, David.....Mike
    Likewise in all respects, Mike. Thanks.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats dpoole!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    David, congratulations on a great sale, but more so on putting such a great set together.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.