Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Crossover from PCI to PCGS - Question about submitting

I am getting ready to crossover a gorgeous 1965 SMS CAMEO to PCGS (steal on eBay!). Question: If I select "Crossover" on the submission form and then select "Modern" for service level....and it states that you must have a minimum of 5 coins....does this mean I have to wait until I have 4 more coins to crossover before submitting???? Someone please tell me what I can and can't do there.

Another question:

Also, if I have 5 raw proofs to send in.....and one crossover.....do I have to fill out two separate submission forms and pay the shipping handling fee two times??? I think I do...but I just want to double check with you veterans out there....

Toby

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Yes, if you select Modern you would need a minimum of five coins. You can, however, use Regular service at $30 and submit just the one coin.

Yes, if you are submitting raw coins they would need to be on a seperate submission form from the crossover.

That said, and I don't want to rain on your parade but I think honesty is best, it is highly unlikely that a PCI graded 1965 SMS Cameo will cross to PCGS unless it was graded at a much earlier time in PCI's history. There is a reason these are a "steal" on eBay.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Russ, save your money, the cams don't cross and the grade will most likely drop. I learned this the hard way, sent in a PCI 1965 MS65DCAM, received back a PCGS MS64!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Thanks for the advice. I was afraid of the crossover thing...so I went ahead and picked up a PCGS 65 SMS in 67 RD last week. I was going to slab this PCI one and see if I could resell if it crossed over with a reasonable grade. I paid 8 bucks for it. It's funny...it looks even better than the PCGS I bought last week. You sound like you are speaking from a wealth of experience...I think I'll hold off on sending it in. Thanks again for the replies everyone...

Toby
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Toby,

There is a wealth of information on these boards. I think it is a great souce of information. Tap into it--everyone here seems to have an opinion.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Toby,

It's a Lincoln? Can you post images of it? There is a HUGE upside potential on a 1965 SMS Lincoln. PCGS has granted the cameo designation to a total of only 10 coins in any grade. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, so even though PCI generally sucks big, on occasion one can get lucky.

Edit: Make that 11 coins in cameo. Looks like someboday made one recently.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Toby,

... Even a broken clock is right twice a day...

Russ, NCNE >>

That's an interesting perspective. I like it. image
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    To cross t over, I think it costs $30. Being a 65,.....I would just crack it out and send it in to be graded as a Modern for $12.
    That saves you $ PLUS gets it out of that PCI Holder. You only have $8 in it, and if you have confidence in it.....That's what I would do!
    GOOD LUCK!image

Gandyjai
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ellewood,
    I would take the advise of Russ and Gandyjai on this one. The 1965's are VERY difficult in anygrade for Cameo and DeepCameo. Post a picture and get an opinion that way, then if you decide to send it in, crack it out of that broken down PCI home and give it a better home!image

Just my 2 cents,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    It is Cameo on both sides, isn't it?
    PCI will slab Cam and Dcam with just one side
    PCGS needs both sides

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To cross t over, I think it costs $30. Being a 65,.....I would just crack it out and send it in to be graded as a Modern for $12.
    That saves you $ PLUS gets it out of that PCI Holder. You only have $8 in it, and if you have confidence in it.....That's what I would do!
    GOOD LUCK!image

Gandyjai >>

CrossOver is charged whatever teir and service you are using. In the case of a Modern PCI coin the cost is the same as that of one that is raw.

peacockcoins