Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is SCD still grading cards?

Their website is still up and going, but I thought I read here that SCD has decided to quit the card-grading business.

Comments

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭
    Not sure. I noticed their recent SCD weekly issue (Feb 6th) doesn't have any ad for grading cards. Instead it has 3 full pages dedicated to SCD Authentic, in regards to game-used equipment authentication.

Most of their grading card website links don't work, although it still has a presence.

I think they have a very nice looking holder with 1/2 point grading and sub-grades, both aspects that I strongly prefer in graded cards. I recently crossed a 1977 Topps Pete Rose from SCD 7.5 to SGC 8.0/88. I just received a 1979 Topps Johnny Bench SCD 8.0 in the mail that I may keep in the original holder. Their flips are very clean and the silver/red/black contrast looks very sharp. Just from these 2 cards it appears that they grade accurately, but that's not much of a sample.

I think their "untouched" scheme was dumb. Why would anyone send their unopened product to SCD to open and handle with "white gloves". Talk about taking the enjoyment away from busting product and never even knowing what you have. Who would do such a thing???

I have no idea who grades their cards.

Another aspect that I think backfired was their advertising by the Fritsch family.

It does seem their presence has picked up slightly on ebay. There are some very nice looking 1960 Topps baseball out there right now and I believe came from a recent vending box(es) find that was reported in an earlier SCD weekly pub.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    I never understood their deal with Fritsch. Was it ever explained in SCD?

It's nice that they grade Star Co. Basketball, but besides a few niche services like that, I never saw a compelling reason to try them out.

Did the SCD 11 grade ever catch on? We could analyze cards at the atomic level and perhaps come up with an "Atomic GEM MINT 12"....that might stir up some interest... image