Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sellers on Ebay -- do you like receiving cash..?

Geez -- I received $120- cash payment today on a lot I sold a while back. I understand people *possibly* sending cash on winnings under $10 -- but it strikes me as overall being pretty silly (most polite word I could muster up....) to send that much cash via mail, in any situation.
I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Just thank him for the payment and advise him to send a check next time if he pays you or any other seller for an item. He is no deadbeat, so just help him out with some advice.

As a matter of principal, I just don't bother sending cash--not worth the risk.

Receiving cash at a garage sale is excellent since the transaction is done immediately. On ebay, if mail service is involved, cash is not the best idea.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    I absolutely do not like sending or receiving cash (unless we are talking about a minimal amount). I have a question - what was the $120 made up of, several "small" bills or a few large bills? I just wonder if a thick envelope resulted.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    as a SELLER - I Love getting cash, becuase
    then I have the money then. No check or money order
    to deal with, or trip to the bank to make.

as as BUYER - Cash, more than a few bucks, is a real
    risk because of the fact that not everyone is as honest
    as me. image

imageimage
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I receive cash now and then, and I always seem to know before I open up the envelope that money is inside (unless just 1 bill is sent).
    If someone sends say $58.00 (2 $20's, a $10, a $5, and 3 $1's - thats 7 bills) so if I know in advance that cash is inside, I figure so would every carrier that touched it. Oh yeah! 1 time a knucklehead taped $11 or $13 in change for his eBay winnings inside a large envelope (not padded envelope) - The amount he spent on postage could have easily paid for a money order. I initially thought the buyer was pissed at me, then I realized we never did a transaction. I let the kids keep the 60 or 70 taped coins, sent the guy his card and we exchanged positive feedbacks...jay
  • Options
    As a seller, I prefer cash... no fees with cash. As a buyer, I only send cash for $3 or less and have never had a problem.

G
  • Options
    as a seller, i love cash- saves the people who do NOT read my auctions where i clearly state NO PERSONAL CHECKS and ONLY U.S. POSTAL MONEY ORDERS (in addition to paypal/cash). i can't tell you how many "international money orders" (b/c they're green like the postal ones, i think buyers assume that's what i mean) i've gotten- and my bank charges something like $10 to cash these types of money orders.

as a buyer, i very rarely send cash (if it's less than $10 and i don't have time to go to the post office for a money order, i'll risk it). anything over $20 is paid for by paypal or a money order.
  • Options
    I only get cash a couple of times a year and i did get $38.00 in cash last week for an ebay auction. About two years ago i had a guy win a bunch of 1952 Bowman baseball PSA 8's and he sent me $650.00 in cash.

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    When it happens I don't say anything because it's usually no more than 5 to $30 or so.I'm just happy a buyer honored the bid.

I think if someone sent $120 I'd wipe the sweat off my forehead,hold the bills up to the light and thank God it made it to me safely.

Just as long as it's American currency that the bank will take just carry on with business as usual.

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I occasionally sell to a guy on e-bay that not only sends crisp/fresh US bills, he usually rounds it off on the high side and Fedex's the cash overnight......It's from Hollywood, so time may be more valuable than $$ to this person.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It was a $100 and a $20 bill. Without knowing for sure -- I just thought it was one of those silly one or two-card ebay winnings that I sometime get. I just cannot understand someone sending that much cash. Paypal is always easiest for me -- and I've never had any hassles with personal checks or money orders -- just would hate to think if a guy like this got burned one day.

The guy has over 200 transactions in over 4 years -- just surprised me that he hasn't gotten burned yet. (of course, perhaps I am a bit of a cynic, being a former fraud investigator for nearly five years....)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>It was a $100 and a $20 bill. Without knowing for sure -- I just thought it was one of those silly one or two-card ebay winnings that I sometime get. I just cannot understand someone sending that much cash. Paypal is always easiest for me -- and I've never had any hassles with personal checks or money orders -- just would hate to think if a guy like this got burned one day.

The guy has over 200 transactions in over 4 years -- just surprised me that he hasn't gotten burned yet. (of course, perhaps I am a bit of a cynic, being a former fraud investigator for nearly five years....) >>

Did you check if the $100 bill is legit?

As a buyer, I would be scared sending $120. You won't know if seller is honest enough. I once sent a seller $2.00 and claimed never received the money.

The most I got was $60 (3 $20). When there's a change I give it back including coins.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    SuperPunk got $650 in CASH? Cool.

I am so surprised people actually do send cash in this day and age.

Do buyers ever come by to pick up their items? I once wanted to pick up my cards from DSLsports since the address was so close to the University I attend. He wouldn't let me saying it's not like he has a store where customers visit.....Oh well, I got hosed on the shipping as usual.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I guess it's fine when cash arrives, but I discourage my customers from sending it. I like them to have a record of their payment, in case it doesn't arrive. The most I ever got in cash was $30 or so. The worst case was when someone included two quarters loose in the envelope. When it got to me, one quarter was still there, and there was a quarter-sized slit at the end of the envelope.

Mike
  • Options
    DeutscherGeist said, "SuperPunk got $650 in CASH? Cool."

Yes, and to this day i still think the guy is nuts! I don't care how much you trust someone it's crazy to send that kind of cash through the mail!

Paul.

Edited for spelling.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    As a seller, I discourage buyers from sending cash, but as long as I actually recieve it I don't mind. I've only had a few problems with buyers over the years and several were instances where they claimed they sent cash and I never received it.

I once recived a letter with 27 cents postage due, It turned out to be a buyer that sent cash - including exact chage - dimes, nickels & pennies.
    John Vineyard

• Options

<< <i>I occasionally sell to a guy on e-bay that not only sends crisp/fresh US bills, he usually rounds it off on the high side and Fedex's the cash overnight......It's from Hollywood, so time may be more valuable than $$ to this person. >>

well ,if this guy has the cash and is at work
    he does not have to go to the PO
    or bank to get a money order...
    so that saves a trip.

and then he uses the company tab to
    ship the payment FEDEX so that saves
    more $$ and another trip as they likely
    would come to pick up...

and with FEDEX anything you ship is covered
    with 99 insurance without any additonal cost
    so Even if it gets lost, he gets 99 bucks back.

cheap, easy and little risk, and delivered fast to you!
    imageimage
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    I don't mind accepting cash when it is done smartly. Just a couple bills at most. I recently had a guy send me $8 in ones, in a small envelope, not even business size, the $$$ was folded in half; a 3 year old could have told you what was in the envelope. I send cash probably once in fifty purchases. Usually to Canada, as an international postal MO costs $3 and on a $10 purchase that adds 30% to your cost, before shipping charges. I would much rather use Paypal, and I do every time the opportunity presents itself.

Of course the seller will always be blamed when a cash payment disappears. The people who send the cash will usually be very quick to accuse the seller of stealing the money and not sending the item. Somehow the PO gets away with the disappering funds. Recently in the town next to mine the Postmaster was fired after it was determined that she took a credit card from an envelope going through the system, went to an outdoors shop and bought two Kyacks. The day that they arrested her she had arrived at work with the Kyacks on her car ready to take off for the weekend. She is now pouring coffee at the Starbuck's at the mall.
  • Options
    Cash is king ... as they say. I had a transaction a couple of years ago I received cash for...not so strange given the bulk of what I was doing at the time.... the kicker? $12,000 !! in CASH ($100s and $50s). Sent registered mail insured. image I don't send cash for anything over $20, but rarely do regardless.
  • Options
    i sold a high end hockey card to a prominent canadian collector and was paid $187 in cash for it
  • Options
    I only send cash for low dollar items (usually $5 or less) such as raw commons which I'm willing to accept the risk of payment getting lost or crooked seller claiming they never received payment. I don't mind receiving cash but sometimes senders can be clueless. Just a few weeks ago I received $6.00 in an envelope with an address on a Post-It note, that's it. I had no idea what it was for and had to do some research and found it was for an auction that ended at $5.83 total.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I occasionally send cash - never more than $5, and only when the seller does not take PayPal or I am using a SASE for shipment. If I buy an item for $0.99 or $1 + SASE, it is very easy to fold a dollar bill and put it in a penny sleeve inside a toploader, and then to insert that between the parts of the folded SASE. The penny sleeve and toploader are leftovers from prior purchases where I took the cards out (usually to put them in a set binder), so they don't add to my cost, they ensure that I will get the card back in a reasonably protected fashion, and they disguise the cash from postal workers.
    I've had some sellers who said they never got it, but I've had similar problems with small money orders too.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.