Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tax refunds coming - what will you buy?

That wonderful time of the year is upon us - when we all have to file and hopefully get some money back from the man.

With that in mind, what, if anything, are you planning on buying with your refund? I've filed already, and should be getting back my money within the week. I'm using the bulk of it to help pay for a trip to Hawaii, but am reserving a little for my hobby.

Now, if only some hockey cards I need for my sets will come up on ebay - it's been real dry lately. I would like to get some more 63P's, 59 T's and 54 T's - but really haven't seen squat on ebay.

What are you going to buy?

Jerster

Comments

• Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I'm thinking of buying a Nissan Pathfinder Armada, but might shave off a few hundred for a decent Pete Rose rookie.
  • Options
    More gradings
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    "REFUND" Whats that! ---- Every year I seem to be sending money, not receiving any! image ...jay
    (But then again if I were to get a refund, it means I overpaid during the year, and would have less throughout the year)
  • Options
    Jay nailed it. I don't get refunds 'cuz they don't pay any interest on the "loan" during the year.

Rather, I send my check in on April 15 every year, along with a thank you note:

Dear IRS,

Thank you for the free use of the money for the past 15 months. Here is the payback of the loan you gave me, along with no interest, as stipulated in the IRC Sections.

Yours truly,
  • Options
    I won't get a refund...I'll probably owe about a grand.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to the marriage penalty, I will owe money again this year. I only hope my annual bonus will cover it.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks to the marriage penalty >>

Gee! That about sums it up!image ...jay
  • Options
    PCGS coins mostly!
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I owe about $140 federal, who knows what state.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I'm picking up chatter from the little-used part of my brain that controls rational thought that I should make an extra house payment or two, but my wife - oddly enough - has tacitly given me the green light to squander it. She suggested we split the refund evenly so that she can use her half to start paying off her insane credit card bills. My half apparently carries no strings, so I'll probably blow it on Phish posters or prewar hockey cards.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    going Phish'ing huh Yawie? image
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Love the Phish, man.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    You guys pay taxes???
  • Options
    I am going to disneyland next month! Any good shops in the area?

James
    x
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    My wife and I are considering buying a Disney Vacation Club, so that may be my answer. If not, I have no other choice than putting the money into the house or savings. Exciting huh?

Joe, I thought the marriage penalty got more lenient this year? This will be the first time I am filing jointly.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Nothing. I own my house. It has it's draw backs.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    The reason I overpay during the year and give Uncle Sam an interest free loan is because, if I didn't overpay, I'd squander the extra money each month on things I don't need, versus getting a nice lump sum at the end of the year to do something useful with.

It's all about the discipline, which I don't really have regarding discretionary income. Instead of helping to finance a desperately needed vehicle, I'd probably otherwise have purchased a coveted PSA 9 Schmidt rookie, or a couple of nice 50's Mantles in PSA 8. Wait a minute! I'm an idiot! You mean I could have bought all of those things throughout the year and I purposely avoided doing it? AAAAHHHH!
  • Options
    As of right now its going to the bank. Thanks to the recent layoff at my job. But i should be back soon.
    Other than that i have plenty options. Need some help.
    1. Pay off the furniture
    2. Go to a Blues game
    3. 3 game Cards vs. Royals series at Kauffman in June (always fun to talk a little trash).
    4. A huge submission

BEN

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I will cut the IRS a check. I haven't received a refund since 1996, Reasoning already illustrated by toppsgun (although I don't include the thank you note, just a check).
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Yes, finish paying off our new bedroom furniture and with whats left continue building my 51 Boman BB set
    Gregory Voit
    AKA..
    Ebay - mpn2gwvputty
    Ratso of the Booze Junkies MC
  • Options
    If your getting $$$ back from the IRS, then your losing $$$ each year. You should adjust your withholding bracket til it comes out to about even and invest that $$$$.

G
  • Options
    bengineno said, "As of right now its going to the bank. Thanks to the recent layoff at my job. But i should be back soon."

I got layed-off myself two weeks before Christmas and i don't think ill get called back becouse it looks like the place is about to go under. On a better note this year im going to use my tax money for a cruise i have booked in early April, ill start looking for work when i get back. Thank God im good at saving money.image

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As of right now its going to the bank. Thanks to the recent layoff at my job. But i should be back soon.
    Other than that i have plenty options. Need some help.
    1. Pay off the furniture
    2. Go to a Blues game
    3. 3 game Cards vs. Royals series at Kauffman in June (always fun to talk a little trash).
    4. A huge submission

BEN >>

Ben,

You should choose option 3.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    boggsfan - how close counts as in the area?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    I would say 1/2 hour drive. I am staying in a hotel on BAll Road. Any good shops in the area?

James
    x
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    My refund $$$ is gone.
    I spent it in advance.
    I think this was back in September.

• Options
    Knopfler,
    Did you go to that series last year? I caught the last two games. Felt like i was in a sauna on Sunday afternoon. But can't complain. 30 runs combined in both games by the redbirds made my trip worthwhile.
    This season should be different.
    BTW is that Angel on your icon???

Ben

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    boggs - I PMed you with a yahoo yellow pages search list. I have not tried most of those stores, but the few I have been to in Orange County were nothing special (at least not since Jack Petruzelli died and his store closed). However, it's worth a try at several nearby, especially since Boggs is modern.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Ben,

Yes, unfortunately I was also at that Sunday afternoon massacre! I hope to make it to at least two of the three this year. I am looking forward to this whole season. I think the Royals have made some great offseason moves. That is Angel on my icon. I was surprised to see the Cardinals let Vina go. Are they gonna play that guy that started off batting like .650 through his first month at second this season, or did they pick up someone else? I can't remember the guy's name, but he reminded me a lot of Joe McEwing.
  • Options
    Knopfler,
    Vina went to the Tigers to free up some payroll.
    Your thinking of Bo Hart at 2nd base. Cardinal fans love him. He cooled off later in the season last year. They also signed Marlon Brandon (think thats his name) from the D-Rays. They'll battle for 2nd in spring trainging.
    Should be interesting on how JuanGuan and Santiago pan out for you. I thought they did good signing Leskanic. All my friends are Royals fans. Kinda nauseous! I'm from Wichita so we get to see most of your guys come up from the minors.
    We actually made plans last night to go to Busch for a couple of the Cub games earlier that week before the Royals series. But there is still a good chance will be in KC during the weekend. Take care.
    Ben