Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

would you bid on this card?

i"m just curious what the masses think. this is one of the marquis cards in the set and doesnt surface in this condition often but the centering seems questionable for a card that"s gonna sell for a premium what does everyone else think????

THORPE
Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
lsuconnman@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    The card is oc, but in many instances it may have better color or corners then another 8 w/ better centering. So you have to see if its worth the tradeoff...jay
  • Options
    Im with Jay the card is OC but the Color and Picture seem to be outstanding it would be fine with me due to the tremendous color, it is probably a very striking card in person. there will always be some that would complain of the centering, but there will also be some that rave about the color and eye appeal. so it is definetly what you prefer a tremendous color and photo or an image that is better centered.image
  • Options
    If I was down to that card being one of the last cards to complete a set, I would pull the trigger. I have mixed feeling about centering. Perfect centering is ideal but was never a concern during manufacturing so great color, surface, and corners always wins over centering for me (unless the centering is so bad it is distracting).
    cheers,
    minibeers
    1966T, 1971T, 1972T raw and in 8s
    1963T Dodgers in 8s
    Pre-war Brooklyn 5s or higher
  • Options
    I'd buy it as a filler until I could afford the 8. But only at the price of a 4 or 5.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    That's a nice card and the centering doesn't detract too much from the "eye appeal". I'd buy it.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I would think that PSA would have slapped an OC on this one??

Ken
    Ken's 1934 Goudey Registry Set
    - Slowly (Very Slowly) Working On A 1952 Topps Raw Set (Lower Grade)
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭
    The Thorpe card is one of the hardest to find nicely centered in the
    All-American set, if not THE hardest. When a card it so tough to find
    centered, collectors will often accept that fact and settle for an off
    center example. Still, I would bet that the final bid price on this one
    will be fairly low due to the centering. Maybe $800 ($25 over SMR,
    which is actually a bit weak for a PSA 8 A.A.).

And, man, that Jeannie Dee sure is cute! Yeah, yeah, I know she's
    married, but she must be putting her pic in the auctions for a reason...

edited to add: no, I wouldn't bid on that card.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

I think if the design of the card were just a picture and a border, it would look too off-centered to me,
    but with the two logos, different sized blue borders, and two pictures, there's just so much going on,

that the overall centering doesn't seem as important on this particular card as it would on others.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭
    I was wrong about the closing price.
    It ended at $1,081.89.
  • Options
    yeah, i'm pretty floored by that price too...oh well i'll stick with the psa 5's and 6's.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com