Home PSA Set Registry Forum

OT: JIMMIE FOXX RELATED NEED SOME HELP

hi, i recently inherited a 1929 world series home run ball that was hit by jimmie foxx. my great grandfather was at the game and caught it himself. after the game he went and got it signed by jimmie foxx and al simmons. it was recently passed down to me. I have a few questions. does anyone know where i could get it authenticated (not just the signatures, but also the fact that it is a 1929 world series home run ball hit by jimmie foxx.) also does anyone have any idea how much it is worth??? also if i were to sell it, where woudll you reccommend selling it, ebay or some auction house, like in ny or somehting??? any help is appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Frog
    Your best bet on both accounts will be Mastro. If you were to sell it on eBay, buyers would want to see that you have sold other items ot the same type in the past. If you do not have that reputation, the bidding would probably be fairly low. Mastro has the resourses. Call and talk to them.
  • what is mastro and how do i contact them?
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Mastro is one of, if not the, leading auction houses for cards and sports memorabilia. Their web site is www.mastronet.com The deadline for consignments for the next auction is a week or two off I believe.
    Remember, nothing is more negotiable than auction house commissionsimage
    Alternatives-
    Mike Gutierrez, Sportscardsplus, RobertEdward, Lelands. Google 'em for the url

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Hi FroGolfer,

You should get ahold of Bill Mastro at Mastronet directly as you may have a very historic ball there. I've been a bit of a 1929 Philadelphia Athletics fanatic for the last 30 years or so, and here's some more background on your ball if it is authentic.

In the 1929 World Series Connie Mack's Philadelphia A's were set to face the Chicago Cubs about a month before the regular season was to end since both teams were dominating their leagues. Mack decided to take advantage of this and secretly sent out one of his journeymen pitchers, Howard Ehmke, to scout the Cubs hitters during that last month. As Game 1 of the World Series approached, everyone was speculating whether Mack would start 20-game winner Lefty Grove, or 24-game winner George Earnshaw. Too the shock of all, out trotted 7-game winner Howard Ehmke who had only pitched 55 innings all year. Ehmke pitched brilliantly while striking out 13 (then a World Series record) in a complete game, 3-1 victory. He faced the tough Charlie Root of the Cubs who pitched just as well until giving up a homerun in the 7th inning to -- you guessed it -- Jimmie Foxx.

Foxx hit only one other home run in the '29 World Series - during Game 2. So odds are you have a 50/50 chance of having the Foxx homerun ball from the legendary "Ehmke Game" which many consider one of the greatest historical world series games. Before you get your hopes up too much, there were two home runs hit by the Athletics in Game 2 -- by Foxx and Al Simmons. Since your grandpa had both sign the ball that might indicate it is a Game 2 Foxx Home Run ball -- still a fantastic piece of baseball history, but nothing like the Foxx Home Run that won the Ehmke game (A's picked up 2 unearned runs in the top of the 9th as well). Ehmke, by the way, came back in Game 5 but couldn't get out of the 4th inning and then never pitched again.

Good luck with the ball!

Cheers,
    Kevin
  • I agree...go to Mastro. Their stuff alwayd go for way more than I'll pay and everyone knows I overpay as it is. image
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • ttt, anymore thoughts?
  • This week is the deadline to consign to Mastro. Check www.mastronet.com for the phone number and ask for Brian.