Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Remember my Thurman Munson "Cut" Signature Card

from one of my Upper Deck Yankee Master Collections?

It's not for sale but I always wondered how much it might fetch. Well here is another card from another card company (not sure which one):

PRIME CUTS THURMAN MUNSON CUT AUTO PATCH 1/1

It looks like this auction has some keen interest.

Comments

• Options
    I like mine better:

• Options
    It just goes to show you how popular Thurman Munson was. The same guy is selling signature cuts of
    Left Grove, Mel Ott, Ted Williams and Hank Greenberg all which have bids for substantially less, and those guys were all Hall of Famers.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    GEMMY10 - Although it is a good indicator, but are all 1/1 sig cuts the same? Is yours a more desiarble card then the one you posted?
    Or Vice-Versa? It seems that 1/1 cards are in every set these days from the President cuts that are going for crazy $ (the Reagan fetched $14K) to standard issue sets...jay
  • Options
    <<the Reagan fetched $14K>> Now, that's the ticket!

1/1...1/2 who knows? One thing I do know is with such a small population these sales will be high and vary widely for such a rare signature which is highly in demand.

Mine is hand numbered to 2. It will be interesting to see where this winds up.
  • Options
    Here is one listed on ebay. No number of set listed.

Link

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Not to start a big debate or anything -- and I know that this topic has been debated numerous times here, and I also know that other here are much more knowledgible about baseball than I am, but how can Munson not be in the HOF?

Obviously, he does not have the career stats that are usually necessary, but can be dismissed due to his early death.

• Options

<< <i>It just goes to show you how popular Thurman Munson was. The same guy is selling signature cuts of
    Left Grove, Mel Ott, Ted Williams and Hank Greenberg all which have bids for substantially less, and those guys were all Hall of Famers. >>

popular does not equal "Hall of famer"

Thurman may be popular
    and may even be a beloved, missed yankee,
    but that does not change his stats.
    and since he is Dead, neither will he.

He is Not a Hall of Famer.
    imageimage
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Thurman Munson was also a far tougher autograph to obtain than some of the others. Munson simply did not like to sign, and was considered one of the toughest autographs in baseball during his career. Ted Williams autographs should not sell for all that much - the man lived into his 80s and did card shows for decades. Hank Greenberg was also a frequent guest on the show circuit for a long time.
    Consider this: Ted Williams signed 2500 cards for Upper Deck in 1992. I doubt you could find 2500 authenticatable Munson autographs for sale.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    <<I doubt you could find 2500 authenticatable Munson autographs for sale.>>

This is the 3rd one I know of: this one (Premier Cuts), Yankee Signature (haven't see 1/1 on eBay yet) and my 1/2.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    <<Here is one listed on ebay. No number of set listed.>>

alohaet,

This is a complete set which has been opened and the Mystery card is a Whitey Ford Autographed card. My Mystery card was one of the Thurman "Cut" Signature cards. There is another one out there somewhere in either an opened set or Sealed set. I don't think there are many Sealed sets around. One is on eBay now.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    NICKM - is right! Munson died long before the private signings and the glut of card shows, his sigs were disbursed few & far between.
    Years ago I had a Munson signed wiffle ball contract, I always regretted selling it. I had it matted w/ a wiffle ball box that had his picture, was a neat piece! ...jay
  • Options
    gemmy, i think your Munson would bring around $2500 or so. the Yanks master set is much more prestigious than whatever that other Munson is from
  • Options
    <<gemmy, i think your Munson would bring around $2500 or so. the Yanks master set is much more prestigious than whatever that other Munson is from>>

Thanks, goodriddance189

The verdict is in. $1,836.77

I still wouldn't sell mine, even for $3,000 image