Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any body from NY attended the card show at Westchester County Center in White Plains

I went to attend the Westchester County card show in White Plains, NY. I seldom buy cards or boxes at the shows mostly penny sleeves, team bags (to put toploaders in) and graded card sleeves. I just look around the show and sometimes pick up couple of baseball packs.

I saw the GAI people at the right corner of the entrance. One man approach me so I inquire about their service and about what's up with card grading companies. I told him my horrible experience in a grading card company. I never got his name but he said he used to be the head grader (I think that's what he said. He talks real fast) at PSA and pointing to me the guy sitting on the table inspecting some vintage cards, the founder of PSA or used to head PSA. He told me one of the reason why they left PSA and we also talk about some grading card companies, about trimmed cards. Interesting conversation. They don't have onsite grading there only accept submissions.

I bought some packs from a seller in the show. I heard good comments about him. He doesn't have a store (from what I heard) and only attend shows. Pick up 3 packs of yugioh, 2 packs of Bowman Heritage, 2 packs of Topps basketball. On the 2 Bowman heritage packs. First pack I open I got a refractor RC and other regular RC. The cards were not really arrange so I have to flip them over and one card I flip was an autograph card of Rich Harden of the Oakland A's (I just don't know who he is) and the other pack I also got a RC refractor and a Mark Mulder Diamond Cuts jersey card. Awesome pulls! I just grab the packs on the top.

RIP Snow

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I was there on Friday evening. This show is still pretty big, but not like it used to be. PSA was at one of these shows last year taking submissions, but they complained about lack of business there (in fairness, it was right after the tri-state area's major blackout last August which kept many people away). There was a nice selection of raw cards there, I was suprised to find some gradeable vintage at affordable prices. I also picked up a beautiful 1978 Topps FB set, mint as can be (I was looking to start this set on the registry, and now I have the foundation of a nice one). A couple of wax dealers there, and prices on modern boxes were fair. One thing I noticed were the abscence of a couple of dealers who sell PSA graded cards primarily (both their names escape me at the moment). I usually find those guys to have nice inventory, but I wonder if they ever sold anything at their prices, which were usually double Ebay prices. Still, the best show until Fort Wash. in March.
  • Options
    I was there on Saturday. First shock was the admission price. $10! I forgot who the autograph guests were, but they obviously weren't anybody who would leave an impression. The show was very quiet. All the dealers were moaning the fact yet few were moving on their prices. I was looking for some SP Authentic football RC's (patch cards) and prices were 25-50% higher than Ebay. I ended picking up some supplies, 1/2 case of 2003 SP Authentic Football (needed something to break), and some nice McFarlane figures. The only graded cards I bought were from a dealer that had a nice selection of SGC cards from the late 60's - late 70's. They were all SGC 88-96. Unfortunately I had already had most of what he had offered. Overall there was a limited selection of graded cards. I think this show has great potential for the organized dealer. Those dealers who had control of their inventory seemed to be busy (remember this was a quiet show). Those dealers who just threw their inventory in a glass case or on a table haphazardly were reading the paper. Oh yeah, I saw the GAI table in the corner. There was no one there except the 2 guys taking submissions. They weren't very busy either.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    I was there Friday from 3:30 to 8. Still overpriced at $10, but since I live 2 miles away, it's hard to stay away. Very few dealers had gradeable 60's stuff--Jim Ryan and THE BIG RED MACHINE, Chet Woods, were two I shopped from. Incidentally, both are top notch guys and more than fair with their raw card pricing. It appeared as though 10-15% of the floor space usually utilized was bare, and floor/aisle traffic was none--great for a wide body like me image. Unfortunately, some yahoo made use of the lack of traffic to lift a few cards from Chet's table and made a quick escape. Also met Bob Kaiser who does some brisk EBAY selling. Hopefully Saturday and Sunday were busier with more paying customers.

BTW, I did see GAI set off on the left side upon entering. I had no reason to stop and chat with Danny as I had a less than satisfactory experience with some pregrading they did for me last Fall.

EJ
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I had forgot to mention the $10 admission, plus $4 to park...this is not acceptable for a show of this nature. I never understood the concept of paying someone for the privilege of buying their goods from them. On Friday especially, since there were no autograph guests to see anyway (not my thing regardless).

I heard about the guy who lifted the cards. Too bad the show wasn't as crowded as usual, since I guarantee anyone who noticed this would have knocked this fellow on his ass before he could have escaped.
  • Options

<< <i>I had forgot to mention the $10 admission, plus $4 to park...this is not acceptable for a show of this nature. I never understood the concept of paying someone for the privilege of buying their goods from them. On Friday especially, since there were no autograph guests to see anyway (not my thing regardless).

I heard about the guy who lifted the cards. Too bad the show wasn't as crowded as usual, since I guarantee anyone who noticed this would have knocked this fellow on his ass before he could have escaped. >>

Yeah admissions is $10 but I have a $2.00 off postcard coupon. They usually sent me a postcard for the next show. parking is now $4.00? I didn't pay for parking. I park at CompUsa store parking lot.

Got some few packs and mostly packs of penny sleeves and teambags. There was an old couple there who sells ultra pro penny sleeves 5 packs for $2.00 so I got 10 packs, teambags for $1.50 a pack I think I got 4 of those and I screwdown case $0.75 (but the old lady gave it to me for free).

Only few people probably because of the cold temp ( It was about 16 degress).

RIP Snow
  • Options
    Snowball- I bought my supplies from that old couple also. The gentleman was cracking me up because he kept yelling at the lady for making change for customers from cash she had hidden in her bra. That alone was worth the $10 admission.
    But with the $10 admission (even $8 if you can remember to bring the coupon), unless you buy at least $100-$150 worth of material the show isn't worth the admission price.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion