Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

When submitting, use penny sleeves or not?

Simple question, but I am curious to hear opinions from board veterans. When submitting cards, I always put the cards into penny sleeves, and then slide the sleeves into Card Saver 1's. Are the penny sleeves necessary? It seems that slight damage sometimes occurs when you put the card into the penny sleeve, but I wonder if the sleeve offers any extra protection (especially during mail transit). I would prefer not to use them if it isn't necessary. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I slit the sides of a penny sleeve about 1/2" down, fold back the flap, and slide the card in undamaged. That way, you get the protection during shipping and minimize the risk of damage inserting and removing the card. There are other methods people use, such as sliding the card between two thin sheets of paper while inserting it into the sleeve.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    We clip the top corner off - cards go in smooth 99% of the time as long as we aren't reckless.
    Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • Options
    the only problem with penny sleeves is that a card that already has chipping problems, could get chipped even more by sliding it in. depending on the card i may clip the corner also. i wouldn't recommend just a card saver, as the same could happen, and with the glossiness of some cards, they may stick to the card saver itself. i use both and have never had a problem.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.