Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

where will dealer's get their inventories ??

As collector's become more and more educated about sportscards and avenues to buy and sell --- ebay, naxcom, auction "houses", will
it become more difficult for dealers to buy inventory which can be resold for a profit? I ran the following experiment, I picked
5 modern hockey rookie cards (Gretzky, Lemieux, etc...) and emailed several "top" dealers (those who advertise liberally in hobby publications).
I asked how much would you pay for card "X" in grade "Y", PSA graded. In all cases the dealers quoted a price which ranged from 30%--70% of average ebay selling prices. Why would I bother? With greater access for collectors to other collectors will the middle man (the dealer) be cut out of the process and profits? Or will there always be enough "uninformed" to keep the dealers inventory fresh?

Any comments?

Cheersimage
R Haynes
trading, trading, trading, check out my webpage

Comments

• Options
    Some people might be willing to sell to a dealer rather than sell on ebay and worrying about possible deadbeat bidders, ebay fees, waiting on payment, etc. Someone might bring a card to a show, or shop, or pull a card from a pack, and just sell it for what s/he thinks is a good deal, even if it isn't the highest possible price. Maybe the convenience is worth $20-$50 to some people.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>
    I asked how much would you pay for card "X" in grade "Y", PSA graded. In all cases the dealers quoted a price which ranged from 30%--70% of average ebay selling prices. Why would I bother? >>

Why would you bother?

If you are smart, you wouldn't.

Maybe in the past when ebay was not an option, and collectors needed cash right away, they would take this kind of abuse from dealers. I know I did this and got screwed by dealers in the 80s and early 90s.

Selling on ebay has become so easy that it would be ridiculous to take 30% for your cards. It is such a waste of time to offer cards to SCD dealers or to dealers at card shows.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe in the past when ebay was not an option, and collectors needed cash right away, they would take this kind of abuse from dealers. I know I did this and got screwed by dealers in the 80s and early 90s.
    >>

During the 80's and 90's there were a lot of people who say they "got screwed" by dealers, because the cards they wanted to sell, they only got 30% of book. Most people would love to get that from anyone now, dealers or not. Getting screwed implies that a dealer took advantage of you not knowing the value of cards. When people come into my store to sell their cards, before I even look at them, I tell them that the majority of the cards I sell, ungraded, I sell at or below 40% book. So if they are looking for half book or more, it would do them better to sell them elsewhere,
    Always wanting odd-ball Nolan Ryan's.