Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

54 Topps Mays PSA 8??? Maybe 6

4 exmt corners at best. And somebody bid 700 for it. never ceases to amaze me. Why dont I ever get bidders like this??? It's just not fairimage
Always looking for High Grade Pete Rose @ Mint 1975 Topps

Comments

• Options
    Always looking for High Grade Pete Rose @ Mint 1975 Topps
  • Options
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice print dots too. If I were interested in the card (which I'm not), I'd ask for a scan of the outer edges of the holder. Not saying the seller is guilty of anything (he may also be a victim if the card was reholdered). Definitely a misgrade if it's an untampered holder.
  • Options
    i can't say if the card is a tampered holder but i can say that it is a very old grade. alot of cards graded by PSA in the early days are way off. i learned the hard way by buying a '71 bench PSA 8 on ebay, the scan wasn't that great but i really wanted the card. when i got the card it looked like a weak PSA 6!... live and learn. at some shows i've also seen alot of very weak older grades. i was looking for raw mid-grade 62 topps bb and noticed one guy had an early graded PSA 7 62 kaline on his table, i told him it looked like a strong 5, ...15 bucks later it was mine, i cracked it and put it in my raw set. as rule i try to stay away from the the older grades unless i can can have the card in hand before buying it. i would agree the mays isn't even close to the 8's coming of the graded room at psa nowadays.

who was running things for PSA back then? image
  • Options
    i agree with highend, i have had some old flips that were overgraded also. i am not trying to stir up some conspiracy theory, just what i have seen with my own 2 eyes on my cards. downside to the flip is that you can have cards with the old flips reholdered, and they put in the new style. so you have to look out for serial #s also.

anywho, that mays looks more like a 6, possibly a 7 with a better scan. certainly wouldn't be an 8 today.