Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PGS - Professional Grading Service

I realize that e-bay is not the only indicator of a company's success, however, I did a quick search of PGS grading cards and there are over 3,000 of them on e-bay. Now this should be taken with a grain of salt as the majority of the cards are mid-grade (5-7) commons and semi-stars from the 1970s, what some may consider garbage.

Now in spite of this, these cards are not just coming from simsclassicsports, but from a variety of sources. It seems PGS may have found a niche for those collectors who collect 60-70 sets in mid grade. I went to their website and if you submit over 50 cards, you pay only 4.00 a card for 10 day service--not bad.
Gold Coins
Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    ...but does the president of the company chat with you?
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    PGS is actually pretty accurate in their grading as well...I have bought approx. 10-15 PGS cards and all were popped and submitted to PSA as ungraded. 90%came back as the same grade, and 10% came back 1 grade lower...Worst I had was one go from a PGS 8.5-PSA 7. BUT for the price of buying a PGS card, its normally less or equal to an ungraded of the same card. And at least this way, I at LEAST know the approx. condition..No surprises like ungraded from ebay will give you...

Just my opinion of course...
    JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I bought 1 pgs card and had no idea who they were. the card looked really nice and I cracked it out and crossed it from and 8 to a psa 8.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I have had some success cracking out PGS holders to submit to PSA. Some graded down but others crossover perfectly. Only one in fifteen was ungradeable.

However, I have recently seen quite a few PGS cards on ebay and at shows. Is it possible that there is room for another small-time grader? I doubt it. The vast majority of collectors use PSA. There is a small niche market for Beckett modern cards and a small niche market for GAI high grade vintage star cards. Still, I think PGS is not horrible. Right now I consider PGS, along with SGC, one of the best of the third tier grading companies.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I heard Dimitri Young was crossing his collection over to PGS
    ........wait , maybe that was FBN grading.
  • Options
    A few months ago i bought twelve 1968 Topps football cards that were graded PGS 8 for $4.00-$4.75 each and i cracked them out and added them to my raw/ungraded set. When i got them out of the holders i looked at them with a loupe and they all looked like they would have graded a PSA 7 or 8 nq.

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    hi
    i couldn't help notice the bruins logo.....i'm looking for the
    following and was wondering if you might have
    anything....

67-68 orr...calder and all star.....in a 6 or 7
    late yr orr's graded....they look like junk but
    nobody seems to grade them...

sanderson rc in 6 or better

cheevers in 6 or better

do you have anything?
    thanks
    lisa
    k9corner@msn.com
    603 269 8743
  • Options
    Lisa...I have everything graded in the 7-8 range with the exception of the cheever's rc in which I have in a 5.5. However, I am not a seller, just a collector. Sorry I couldn't help you out. Keeping looking on e-bay and patience will pay off. These items appear for sale on e-bay from time to time.

Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com