Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

When the stock market tumbled, were you elated to have your bucks in coins? and now?

If you sold your stock, before the big (50%+) "correction" and put it into coins, what now???
Putting back into stock, a mix as usual, or???

Comments

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd put my money where I feel the best growth will be....

Unfortunatly, I know little about the stock market other than I invest in a mutual fund every month. I make it a point not to look to see if I've lost or gained too often. That takes a lot of my short-term antseys away.

I KNOW coins, and am very confident I have the ability to invest in particular coins that will show a strong return over the next few years.

David
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    The "antseys"... so true. Coins are a lot easier, to a point, to "know" than stocks, but we, as a group, do compete...
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stock market will not be a good investment for a few years yet. Most of this
    move to date is caused by speculation or the fall of the dollar. It has been time to
    start shifting money back into the market for several months now, but it will be
    years before you should be fully invested in the market again. The next time will
    be far more profitable than the '82-'96 run up. In the mean time protect your capital
    and keep your powder dry.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I like your advice... cash is king.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    2 words
    real estate

specially up here in the north east, although i think the sellers market has ceased for now.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>The stock market will not be a good investment for a few years yet. Most of this
    move to date is caused by speculation or the fall of the dollar. It has been time to
    start shifting money back into the market for several months now, but it will be
    years before you should be fully invested in the market again. The next time will
    be far more profitable than the '82-'96 run up. In the mean time protect your capital
    and keep your powder dry. >>

I disagree ... the stock market is on sale now! The people who place new money into it will have the biggests gain. Buy low Sell high. Plus the market went up over 20% last year hmmm glad I bought it while it was on sale!
  • Options
    When the stock market continued to tumble for a long time I was worrying more about it going to zero than I was happy that I had bought some coins. That is because I still had most of my investment in stocks. Now that my accounts are up significantly from the bottom I can look back and feel happy that I at least took a small amount of money off the table to buy coins with.

Coins remain a smaller part of my assets, then bonds and real estate while stock continue to be my largest investment.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diversity is key. Investments are like plants in a garden - ideal if they bloom at different times, not all at once.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I disagree ... the stock market is on sale now! The people who place new money into it will have the biggests gain. Buy low Sell high. Plus the market went up over 20% last year hmmm glad I bought it while it was on sale! >>

The dollar is down more than 20% so it's lost money.

The market is low so it's a good idea to start buying but in all likelyhood it will stay "on sale"
    for a protracted period. In the mean time there are other things which will do better.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Diversify. That's the mother's milk of investing. Here's one idea.

20% U.S. stocks
    20% International Stocks
    20% U.S. Bonds
    20% International Bonds
    20% Other - REITs, Junk Bonds, Coins, etc.

Change the % a little if you want to bet on one area, but be in everything!

Greg
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually pulled back to 90% cash six months before stocks dumped, and probably doubled the $$ I had in coins over that same period plus the next six months.

The stocks I used to have tanked, the coins went up-up-up, and my wife decided I absolutely know what I'm doing!

I sold my Morgan Registry set late last year and paid off the house -- which, back in my college days, I never dreamed could be possible before age 50.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    >The dollar is down more than 20% so it's lost money.

Whatever, I can still sell my stock for 120% and buy 20% more milk, gas, car, house, etc.

-KHayse
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in 2000 and 2001 when the market was flying high I took some money out of stocks and bought an 1855-D gold dollar AU55, an 1838-D half eagle AU55, an 1849-D gold dollar AU55. It was hard to take the money out of the market at the time but in hindsight I glad I did.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, continue to put your money into commodity based investments, stocks that are related to energy, key services, etc that are recession/depression proof, key real estate (not houses), strong currencies and of course gold/silver/coins/art/antiques/up and coming collectibles.

We are well into a commodity-based bull market and anything else is second fiddle for a while. Traditional stock funds are a sucker's bet imo. The 20-30% made this year looks good now, but wait until it falls apart (3-5% daily drops in the indexes) and everyone tries to exit at the same time.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold