Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What if... we got together to manipulate a series?

Say we picked an under developed series and "worked" it...?
Make a mkt? Make a mint?

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know any series that are good candidates that I'd like to see manipulated.

Any series that small amounts of money can control will be better spread among as
    many hands as possible.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting approach, but if a series, say something Barber, maybe proof, is a small but steady mkt (haven't studied it, just an example), and perhaps undervalued series... still not manipulatable, or just a bad investment, or less-than-desirable business tactics?
  • Options
    It's not an ethical thing which makes me not want to see this done, it's a practical matter.
    It seems improbable that even a large group could gain good control of any of the classic
    series. Three cent nickels even have too much value to manipulate. The logical series to
    attempt to control would tend to work against my purposes since I'm already into most of
    them. It would be best for me and the market if no one can gain any real control over the
    prices of these coins.

If a market could be controled it would probably be profitable but not wildly so. Prices would
    escalate as they are being bought up and would fall as they are sold off. The power might
    come in changing perceptions about the horded coins. If you could convince people that Bar-
    ber proofs are much scarcer than they really are while you are controlling the supply then it
    should be possible to maintain a higher price than supply alone might dictate.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Ethics are tantamount. ty
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    If you need pointers on how this is done you should talk to the PCGS Lincoln cartel. imageimage

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    This is nothing new it was done back in 1970's when the Hunt Brothers started buying up, I think it was Bu rolls of nickels. It just killed the hobby !!!!
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS Lincoln cartel >>

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    What the he## has happened to us that someone like Registry Coin (who I respect for his interest in quality coins) needs to discuss how to manipulate the market for profit. Is this a hobby about the love for historical coins or is it just about MAKING M O N E Y ? I know we all collect coins with some anticipation that we can eventually get our money back, but I think those who collect JUST to make a quick profit shouldn.t be in the hobby. jmho. Steveimage
  • Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    Why don't you guys start by manipulated the mint state Kennedy Half market. My #5 set happens to be for sale currently and that would be a good start imageimage

Tim
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it would be alot easier to manipulate a certain date/MM of a certain coin. What about the Jackie Robinson gold. I can't remember which one it is the PRF or M.S. that has a pop of just over 5,000, but if you bought them all up, you could corner the market. Bad thing is that they cost quite a bit.

If I recall, wasn't there someone on this registry that was buying up all the MS64 + Washington quarters for a certain date, like the 1955's?

Later,
    Paul B. Gunsallus

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I know it is possible to push the prices on a particular coin but a series would be very difficult. I personally know one person that has over 1600 1932 D&S washington quarters. In his quest to acquire these the price has jumped significantally to some degree because he took so many off the market.
    Myself, I am hoarding a particular coin with the goal to start pushing the price after I quietly acquire a sufficent quantity. So far since I started this about a year ago the price of this coin has more than doubled in price. As long as I continue to take this coin out of the market the price will likely slowly continue to increase. I consider this part of my retirement fund and don't plan on actually putting them back into the marketplace for quite some time. The trick is to pick a particular coin that has a low survival rate or mintage. The coin I'm hoarding has a low mintage (much smaller than 1932 D or S quarters) and low PCGS population numbers (well under 1000 in all grades) and is still very underpriced (sells for much less than 1932 D or S quarters). One word of warning for anybody considering this, it does tie up a lot of money. Considering the Long Beach show next weekend I plan on picking up all I can find, I expect to find another 8 to 15 of these.
  • Options
    just a thought while the reg forum was a bit slow... sorry if offensive...image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why don't you guys start by manipulated the mint state Kennedy Half market. >>

Close, but make that the early date (1964-1970) coins, and include proof and SMS. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

you should talk to the PCGS Lincoln cartel

Who are they? I'd like to get to know some of those guys.image
  • Options
    Haven't the sms already been manipulated up the ying yang? image
  • Options
    PM me with the coin you are hoarding - I will help gather from this end of the world. Bill
    DLG
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    I surely would appreciate it if you could direct your market manipulation to clad quarters (1965-1998). That series is all but dead, but see it springing to life sometime in the future.
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee, that would be just like NGC and/or PCGS manipulating the grading of these coinsimage

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Now we're getting to the exact point I was intimating... good thinking!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could have easily done this on one particular rare date seated coin that was not readily known to be rare. Over the past 17 years I've had the opportunity to buy every UNC that hit the market (4 pieces) and passed on 3 of them. The remaining 3 would have only cost me $10,000. In hindsight it was foolish not to do this as I could have easily doubled the price of the coin in each of the grades and the coin would have still been unobtainable and only POP 1 in UNC. The other 3 coins could have been sold down the road at significant gains. I'm sure there are other similar coins where the same could be done...but probably not in the 20th century....not in all UNC grades.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I am in Registrycoin! We need to pick a coin that everyone wants so we can use them for blackmail and bribery get them to give us any coin we want out of their registry setsimageimage--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Isn't the PCGS Lincoln Cartel controlled by Lauren's Lincolns ?
    Isn't she the 12 year old who likes pennies and buys the best.
    Word is the cartel USED to be controlled by Gerry but he's washed up as Lauren is very much in control as evidenced by events which took place in Florida.

Stewart Blay
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    steve
    don't be sorry for kick starting these guys

I take your thread as a what if? and nothing else...and I don't think your
    the only one thats ever asked that question.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Hypothetically: One would want to "do" a series that was not lightly traded, perhaps even going so far as to promote a series that was basically $20 (or less) coins in $30 slabs, I would think.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Steve, I think that Eureka Dog fellow stole your idea, looks like he is buying up Franklin Mint productsimageimageimage-----------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    High grade FS Jefferson war Nicks would be an easy market to control. In light of the pops they go fairly cheap. May be poised to go up with the new nickel design coming out.
  • Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    How about the 1997 SMS Jefferson nickels or the 1996 W Dimes? Both low mintages compared to their counterparts and yet still affordable. You would only have to buy a small percentage of these to start the price moving upward.
  • Options
    If you're just looking for cheap then how about 1971 dimes? There shouldn't be more than
    about 30,000 mint sets on the market at about $3.50 each. Toss in the 50 or 60 rolls that
    you might be able to find with a lot of people looking hard @ ~$15 each and it looks real easy
    to control this market.image

Sure by the time you suck up 30,000 1971 mint sets the price will more than double and up
    to about 400,000 more will flow onto the market to replace them but this would still be very
    cheap. Rolls were never saved and most of the mint sets have been destroyed so this would
    have to be easily done.image
    Tempus fugit.