Home Q & A Forum
Options

Finger/thumprints and the MS67 grade...

David,

I know it's tough to grade coins from a picture but would like your opinion of this one. Recently purchased it and the day I received it in the mail I was put off by all the scratches and scuffs on the holder so I immediately threw it in a box I was preparing to ship to PCGS along with four other coins. Sent it in to get reholdered and that's it. I really didn't take the time to get a good look at the coin. When I received the coin back in it's new holder I got out the loop and noticed what appeared to be a thumbprint in the obverse left field. It appears to be an old print, not something that happened any time recently. I guess my question is, does PCGS certify coins in 67 with finger/thumbprints? I was told by a fellow collector that toning patterns do sometimes take on very unusual symmetrical line patterns which may sometimes look like prints but I'm pretty sure that this is indeed a print.

I'm in no way looking for any compensation but am curious if PCGS would give an MS67 grade to such a coin or is this a case of the print appearing after the coin had been graded? No expert but besides the print, this coin is nearly flawless with the exception of a very small nick on the tip of one of the eagle's wings that is only noticeable with a 10x (or a enlarged picture as provided) and it has plenty of underlying luster beaming through the toning. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Rick,

It appears to me that the "fingerprint" was on the coin before it toned. It's neutral to barely negative from the looks of the scan. The toning and luster should be outstanding for a 67 grade. The coin is probably fine and dandy for the grade.

David