Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1953-S MS64FS Thoughts?

As most/all you know there's a 1953-S MS64FS on Ebay-Opening $10,000. Don't know pop in FS, but hard to believe that an MS64FS Jeff could be worth that much. Price Guide which is usually high pegs this coin @ $7,500. Can't see much eye-appeal in any 64FS, does the rarity justify this price?
PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid $12 for a PCGS-65 non-FS, so that kind of price seems ridiculous beyond all comprehension to me.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    There was a recent thread on this topic: '53-S 64FS There are some comments in it that address your question.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Thanks question answered! image
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    The 53-S has a population of 9 in 64FS with none higher (or lower in FS). It is one of the rarest Jeffersons in Full Steps. I think 2500 would be a good deal for that coin.

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    Here is a less expensive option. This coin has some nicks or bridges on the steps (ie would not get FS at PCGS)

SEGS 1953-S 5 steps

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    if your building a set I made 2 53-d ms65fs and one is up for sale.

I am also concidering putting my 71-no s pr68cam into an upcomming auction

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It needs to have a great srtike, like my 1954-S PCGS MS65 on the BS&T forum image

Ken
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Mark, the SEGS Jeff may indeed get a FS from PCGS. The bridging on the label, in all likelihood, simply means the sixth step has been pushed up against the fifth. If SEGS says it is 5-5-5-5, the only other way it might not be, would be a hit or cut that goes deep enough to "bottom out" below the steps, completely breaking the step(s) line. Don't see it in the pic, but sould still be there.

IMO, the coin is over-graded by 2+ points. Very weak hair detail, no ponytail, and a few hits to the obverse. The reverse looks free of nicks/hits but Monti is weak in the pillars and windows. Fields look ok on both sides. Overall, a very weak strike. I'd give it a 62 @ best.

Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Word has it, that the Jefferson that was the subject of the thread traded hands yesterday at Long Beach for $6500.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    $6500.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I have to say is WOW!

Spy88, the SEGS Jefferson likely has nicks and bridges between the steps. SEGS will grade it 5 5 5 5 even with bridges.

Mark
    Mark