Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Kennedy Proof Collectors --- Watch Out Someone May be Removing Your Coins from the Registry!

This morning when I checked the registry, I noticed that not only was I no longer #3, I had drooped out of the top 20. There is no more egregious error than removing coins from a registry member and then asking them to prove you were wrong. Now, I have to go to the bank, remove my 1966 and 1967 SMS, both in 67DCam, scan them, send the scan to PCGS, and then return the coins back to the bank. I guess this is an argument for attaching pictures to coins in the registry. Still, I believe this is terrible.

Casabrown

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Larry,

Have you contacted BJ? If so, what was the explanation for this? The only thing that is plausible to me is that somebody contacted them and LIED about ownership of the coin. It should be up to that person to prove it, not you!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    PS: I just checked your short set, and this is what it say:

<< <i>1966 SMS 96846 50C SMS nograde 14 4
    1967 SMS 96847 50C SMS nograde 42 6 >>

Somebody has some explaining to do.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I saw in the set of Parke happened the same thing with a coin that I sold to him. image
    Looks strange to me.
    The best solution is contact BJ and clarifies it.

Edson
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This morning when I checked the registry, I noticed that not only was I no longer #3, I had drooped out of the top 20. There is no more egregious error than removing coins from a registry member and then asking them to prove you were wrong. Now, I have to go to the bank, remove my 1966 and 1967 SMS, both in 67DCam, scan them, send the scan to PCGS, and then return the coins back to the bank. I guess this is an argument for attaching pictures to coins in the registry. Still, I believe this is terrible.

Casabrown >>

Did you have your two Kennedies reholdered? If so, the older insert number is probably expired. Try entering the new one. If that isn't the case then this is a real dilemna.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Looks like PCGS did the same with Honeycutt. His set now is #26..... As his set is close is impossible to know if a "no grade" (what's hell is that?) or simply he was removed a single coin (improbable).

Edson

• Options
    Probably Braddick is right.
    The coin sold to Parke was re-holdered two months (more or less) ago.

Edson

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has happened frequently as per the recent threads. Maybe PCGS is trying to clean up the pop reports, removing some that may be incorrect and letting the owners show the coin. It has often been rumored that the 64 in 69 does not exist as well as some of the high grade 1982-D's may actually be the commem half.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    This is in a thread titled "No Grade" Coins in Registry Sets. It may explain what's happened to your coins.

Hi Everyone,

We are attempting to keep the Registry as up-to-date as possible. I recently had our programmers update the registry so that coins that have been submitted for regrade and assigned new certification numbers in CURRENT sets will display as nograde. The registry is not dynamic so when you get a coin regraded, the new certification number is not automatically updated in your set. This is something you must do yourself. Simply add the new number to your set in the EDIT mode. It will overwrite the old number. Then validate and you're done.

If a coin is showing up as a nograde, but the certification number is correct, there may be some other problem. Contact PCGS customer service for help at info@pcgs.com or call the 800#. You may be requested to send a scan or xerox copy of the coin. Once the coin is updated in the database, the nograde will disappear and you will be good to go.

-------------------------
    BJ Searls
    Set Registry Manager
    Collectors Universe
    bj@collectors.com

Dan
  • Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭
    Everyone,

Thank you for your responses. No, the coins were not re-holdered or submitted for upgrades. They have been in the bank for the last six months. The most difficult thing for me is the great inconvenience to prove that my coins are mine. I will go to the bank tomorrow and advise you guys about the outcome.

Casabrown
  • Options
    Just goes to prove idiots, as usual, do and then check. the no-brainer that changed your set did not even give you the chance to explain or look into the matter. great candidate for unemployment. how difficult would it have been to notify the sets involved before making a fool out of himself. We have enough imcompetence in the Registry, now we've found the biggist one!! Sure hope David walks him/her to the door with their Pink Slip. I'd love to hear this wizard's explanation of the coins you've had in the Bank for past 6 months. Bet they will just mumble something stupid. Thought PCGS hired qualified people, well we now know thats not true.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.