Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Type collectors: Where are you??

Wow,

I'm back in the top 20 on complete US type. I KNOW that my set isn't that good. Why haven't more people registered type sets? Now I know that there is a great deal of personal opinion as to the style of collecting people do (I went 2 years only needing a 1914-D lincoln to finish them off before finally buying one; I prefer collecting other things) but I would still think that there are more people out there.

As a side note, it is interesting to look at what kind of sets have 100's of people (Morgans, Franklins,etc) and what sets have a dozen or so (or even less) like 2 or 3 cents. Heck, it is a lot easier to complete a 2 cent set than Morgans!! (which is why I am working on a 2 cent set and only casually collect Morgans, with only 1 slabbed example.)

Are most people waiting until their sets are more complete before posting them, or do most people just prefer other areas?
Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.

Comments

• Options
    I think the complete type set is daunting to many. It is to me! One can get off to a quick start with the 20'th Century stuff, but then things slow down. I'm in 10'th and not even %50 complete. Anyway I am patient and this is a great education for me...
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a copper, nickel, and silver type set from 1792-1964 that I'll never complete, but I love type coins. Last week I added a three cent silver, Seated half dime with legend, upgraded my Seated dime with legend, an 1805 half dollar, and a trade dollar, all acquired at the FUN show. I'm only #14 in that Registry, but I'll keep plugging away at it to make it as complete as possible on a modest budget. Sure, I'd like to own a chain cent, 1796 quarter, and a 1796 or 1797 half, but unless I win the lottery I doubt that I'll ever have them.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    I've started the complete C/N/S set. I prefer better mint state examples. But many of the early types are very espensive in those grades. I don't really like circulated examples. So, I will probably never complete. I am waiting for the basic set on the proposed sets list. I don't really collect gold, so I am not registering in the complete set.

Greg
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I find the complete US type set to be too daunting a task, but good luck to you. I personally wish that the 20th century type sets were true 20th century type sets, and not limited to coins with dates between 1900 and 1999 (which isn't the 20th century anyway).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I agree that completing the set may be something that most people will never be able to do. I also agree that you definately need to sacrifice the grade significantly for several issues (or you need to sell your house to get an unc example of 1 or 2 of them). At the same time, it is still fun to see what you can find.

(And Jim, you don't need to win the lottery to have a chain cent; you just need to have an open mind. Mine is a PCGS Poor-01) image
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    My collecting preference is mint state. I've enjoyed building 20th Century Typs Sets, including the sets which allow you to include both MS and PR. It's given me a reason to collect proof coins, which I haven't done much of in the past. I continue to upgrade my Type Sets and participate in the new type sets to be added soon. My latest purchase was a Barber Dime in MS67. Really nice coin.

I started a type set across the street so I could purchase gold in either a PCGS or NGC holder. I did the same with a Washingon Quarter Set. The Wash set won't be a show stopper. I plan to buy MS65 - MS67 where affordable, except for the toughies. I thought it would be fun becasue I like the series and had a few in both holders.

Looks like you have the toughie, 1872, out of the way Rob. Won't be long and your set will be finished. It's down hill from here. image

Edited for spelling... image
    Dan
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    I'm plugging away on my types set - currently 41% complete and targeting 75% by end of year. Course, its easier for me as I'm shooting for the LOWEST graded set - so the coins are cheaper (in theory) but I have to make most of them myself! I do still have some challanges though - like finding circulated low grade gold - VERY tough to do. I will say type set collecting is a great way to learn all about type of coins and that's been a blast. Its a collection I recommend - just stay away from the PCGS PO01's!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!