Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Whoa Nelly!! Lincoln guys, take note...

Lauren's Lincolns just updated. He/she was the high bidder on the 15-P in 67RD, the 20-S and 21-S in 65RD AND the 30-S in 67RD!!!!! I don't have the prices in front of me, but a ballpark figure is certainly over $100,000 for those four coins.

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy smokes. That's a lot of money for "common" coins.

Must be one heck of a set!
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    So I guess what you're telling me is that I have an even smaller chance of cracking the top 20? I'm currently #28 and am having quite a time of it just to tread water!

Super additions to that set!! WOW!!

MIke
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    Wow... BTW its a he. On track for #3 all time.
  • Options
    Here's a link: Lauren's Lincolns

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Bilbee aka Laurens Lincolns is the NEW Daddy Big Bucks !!!

Stewart
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations bilbee. It is amazing to me that some people are willing and able to invest literally hundreds of thousands of dollars to well over a million dollars on the collection of Lincoln cents. Don't get me wrong. I admire their interest in aquiring the finest condition of this great series.

To indicate a different point of view, I have invested about $20,000 in my collection over twenty years. My Lincoln 1909-1958 business strike basic set sits at position #63. It probably would move up some if I chose to submit all the rest of my coins to PCGS for grading but that is not what is important to me now. I am striving to have all my proof Lincolns in a pleasing condition to me as a complete set. I get a great feeling seeing these coins and knowing I'm almost there. To me, completion is most important. Owning coins like the 1909VDB Matte Proof, the 1990 no S Proof as well as all the key business strikes in PCGS holders is very satisfying. While some may spend on ONE coin what I have spent in a lifetime of collecting, I guess we each in our own way find enjoyment with Lincoln cents. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    That are really great coins!!!!!!!!!

Dennis
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see:

1. 1919(s) & 20(s) in 65RD - roughly $45k - $50k - I just passed for my #36 collection adding these 2 coins.

OR

1. 1919(s) & 20(s) in 64RD - roughly $4.5k - $5k - I just picked them up to add to my #36 collection.

2. 2 carat Diamond studs for the Ms. for Valentines Day - Ca-Ching, Ca-Ching!! image

3. Roughly $35k left over to pick up some more PQ "one-grade under" Lincolns while the hysteria plays out on the generally "just made it" MS65RD specimens.

Yeah - a real tough choice here!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Mitch,

A very sound a logical approach to building your set. It's difficult to argue with that approach. However, as a dealer of "Top Pops" whose business relies on such coins, I would be careful about questioning the intelligence or motives of those that collect them.

A few quotes from www.wondercoin.com

"The primary focus of this site (although I am/will be offering spectacular Classic Silver Commems, patterns and other great classic coins from time to time as well) is to offer "modern issue" (1932-date) high grade and finest known certified coins (minimum order $1,000)".

"I look forward to working with you in building your finest known sets for the PCGS or NGC Registry as well!"

"Also, do you presently possess any finest known NGC or PCGS graded coins in the series listed above which are available for sale? My customer list includes some of the strongest buyers in the country for this material."
  • Options
    JTK: All "pop tops" are not created equally

I have the top set of silver MS Wash quarters and the new level for 32(d) quarters in MS65 at $25k-$30k or higher for average quality coins is INSANE IMHO.

I believe there are some very silly prices out there right now on certain "pop tops" in a variety of series and some spectacular values as well. And, this is not a classic/modern debate by any means.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.

I believe there are some very silly prices out there right now on certain "pop tops" in a variety of series and some spectacular values as well. And, this is not a classic/modern debate by any means.

Wondercoin >>

I've seen or heard of some prices that would seem to be unsustainable. (none have
    been posted to these boards). There are a large number of great bargains in the mo-
    derns but some people are paying far too much and looking in the wrong places. It has
    always been wise to learn a little something about a "product" before you buy and some
    collectors are circumventing this critical step.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lauren started collecting pennys in 2002 and she is looking for the best grades she can get. >>

That's just so cute. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    And this does not take in the sets that are not listed
    Tim
    I am sure there are a couple of top 10 sets out there
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll settle for being Daddy Confederate Bucks . . .
    Doug
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitch

Why do you think that $25 - 30 K is insane for a 1932 D Washington quarter in ms 65.You've stated on the boards that a 1961 D in ms 67 is worth $15K.

The 1932 D is THE KEY to the set

Perhaps your becoming a Washington Quarter dinosaur as I am a Lincoln Cent Dinosaur ?

Stewart
  • Options

<< <i>Let's see:

1. 1919(s) & 20(s) in 65RD - roughly $45k - $50k - I just passed for my #36 collection adding these 2 coins.

OR

1. 1919(s) & 20(s) in 64RD - roughly $4.5k - $5k - I just picked them up to add to my #36 collection.

2. 2 carat Diamond studs for the Ms. for Valentines Day - Ca-Ching, Ca-Ching!! image

3. Roughly $35k left over to pick up some more PQ "one-grade under" Lincolns while the hysteria plays out on the generally "just made it" MS65RD specimens.

Yeah - a real tough choice here! >>

So . . . Mitch . . . you spend $15k and basically have $5k worth of coins . . . . hmmmm . . . . and this is your choice . . . . . . hmmmmmmm

Doug
  • Options
    "Perhaps your becoming a Washington Quarter dinosaur as I am a Lincoln Cent Dinosaur ?"

It happens. On day you get up and you realize you don't know "Jack" about your favorite series!

Doug: Yes, I do see your logic about being short coins

Wondercoin
  • Options

Mitch, I'm laughing to myself because I bought the same studs for my wife last year! image
    Doug
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I can't wait till these guys with $$$$$$ move onto other series like Franklinsimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I can't wait till these guys with $$$$$$ move onto other series like Franklins

Most guys with money got that way by being smart, so Frankies are out! image
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    so Frankies are out!

Bruce you are funnyimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Looks like Daddy has a lot of money!!!
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    does anyone actually know what is up with this set and the owner?

the link mentions - Lauren just started this set and she is looking for the best dates she can get

if you hit the other sets registered - they have a "YN" by their memorial set

is this a trust fund for a little girl? a retirement fund?

I know some kids whose parents bought them fancy cars - but this is the first I heard of parents buying kids $40,000 Lincoln cents ( interesting )
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    Rumor has it that it is really Parris Hilton
  • Options
    YN my arse!! image