Home U.S. Coin Forum

breaking out

Has anyone ever damaged a coin while cracking it out of a slab? What's your best advice to prevent this? Thanks!

-matt

Comments

• PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    use a dremel tool to saw open near the top edge (farthest away from the coin). then just lift it apart.
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever damaged a coin while cracking it out of a slab? What's your best advice to prevent this? Thanks!

No, but about an hour ago I cut the back of one of my fingers on the plastic shrapnel.

BTW, I do return all the old cert. tags from crackouts.

Now to your question. If you go the crossover route, the grading service will crack the coin out for you if it crosses.

If you crack it yourself, the best technique I've seen is a special type of pliers available at most hardware stores.-I need to get one of these. I'm not sure what this type is or can properly describe it. Can one of the dealers or others that frequently crack out coins further explain.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • It's very simple. I have seen many, many different methods posted on this board, but for PCGS coins, a lot of people make it WAYY too hard. Take any pair of cutting-pliers ($4 wire-cutters from Sears will suffice), and cut the edge of the slab (about 3/4" deep) just about a millimeter above the center of the coin. The bottom half will fall right off (don't worry, they don't shatter, and nothing will fly if you hold the slab in your hand when doing it), and you can easily pull the coin out via the rubber ring. This takes about 2 seconds and requires a heck of a lot less effort many other methods I've heard of.

Kyle
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    Kyle,

Whta you describe is what I've seen. So I guess they are cutting-pliers.

When I get a pair, I'll post a pic.

Greg
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    They're not exactly wire cutters (these are duller), I can't remember the name but I think they're called vertical plyers. You'll see them in 4in and 6in. I bought this pair at ACE (6in), but they also have them at WalMart (cheaper). This is by far the easiest way I've ever found cracked out a coin--takes 2 seconds. However depending on the holder you may have some flying parts (although very very seldom-sometimes w/pci & maybe one in every 30 pcgs). As a precaution, I'll take a grocery store plastic bag and crack it out inside, in case a piece goes flying it won't hit anything. Kyle is exactly correct about holding the slab, I gently hold one end, while cracking the other side (inside the bag).

Took me about a dozen slabs to perfect my methodology, but I've discovered 3 things to get that perfect "2 piece crack"

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigAl, it looks like you would have had to have the pincer parts of your tool awfully close for comfort! image

Me? I use a brutishly low-tech method. I just whack the top of the slab off with a hammer, watching out for plastic shrapnel. I just hold it on the edge of the table with the heel of my hand covering the coin- only the top- the label portion- of the slab is exposed. I can usually get it with one whack, two at most. Crude, but effective. And little threat to the coin, since in order to whack it I would be whacking my hand, first.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Those plier are called diagonal pliers. Oftern refered to as dykes. Name came before the movement. Enjoy
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use a brutishly low-tech method. I just whack the top of the slab off with a hammer >>

Same here.

Haven't damaged a coin yet. image

Russ, NCNE
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Looking at that trash can full-the first thing that comes to mind is inaccurate population. Are those some NTC slabs I see in there Russ/ I also see a trash can full of dollar bills! image Hypocrite
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I like the dremel idea. Maybe after cracking it out, I can give it a nice buff and shine? imageimage
  • au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    When I think of all the cracked out coins and all the crossing, etc., and then see the pile of old slabs, I can't help but think about all the money the grading services have sucked out of the market and wonder if the net effect is positive or negative.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file