Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

1979 S SBA MS67 sells for over $300 on Ebay

I am quite happy to see the poor SBA finally getting a little of the attention she deserves. (No it was not one of mine.)

The last one I sold for $175 and it had "Full Talons". The reverse of this one is not shown.

I have seen very few TOP POP SBA$'s for sale lately. I wonder if this was a fluke or an omen of things to come.

1979 S PCGS MS67 SBA $ sold on EBay
(PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN

Comments

• << <i>I am quite happy to see the poor SBA finally getting a little of the attention she deserves. (No it was not one of mine.)

The last one I sold for $175 and it had "Full Talons". The reverse of this one is not shown.

I have seen very few TOP POP SBA$'s for sale lately. I wonder if this was a fluke or an omen of things to come.

1979 S PCGS MS67 SBA $ sold on EBay >>

My EBay Items
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a good sign, but, as you know, the typical pattern is that after this sale, (2) more will then sell under $200/coin and it is back to square one.

MS SBA's has always been a series of interest to me. But, I will say this - these coins are relatively difficult to grade. IMHO, there are some MS67 coins undeserving of their holder and many more MS66 coins potentially upgradeable. This leads to prices all over the place on MS67 coins for the low to high quality coins. And, my comment equally applies (to a lesser extent) to the MS68 coins out there as well.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

• Hi David,

Never had any doubts about this series.image I probably have gotten more questions about SBA's in the last few months than gold coins! It's always been a very challenging series when it comes to finding gems, especially in the early dates.

What is the definition of the "Full Talon" designation? Is this designation listed by any of the "big boys," I hope? image

Larry
    Dabigkahuna
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DRG,
    Could it be possible that someone bid more for the coin based on the sellers comment "none higher"?
    I read this and I have a 1979-S in my type set and knew at one time there were 3 MS68's higher. Well I had to check and the 3 higher are still there. The buyer may not have had access to the pop report and paid a premium, IMHO.

Ken
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    To the top.
  • Wondercoin; you may be right that this was essentially a fluke sale. It is quite a jump from prior sales and may bring a few coins onto the market. We will have to wait and see.

I agree that the quality of high grade SBA’s is not uniform. I do not think that they are unique in this however. Although PCGS does the best job in my opinion they are not perfect. While I have seen quite a few MS67 coins that I wondered how they made it past MS66, I have seen only a few MS66 coins that I really thought should upgrade. I think that PCGS has become very tough when it comes to MS68 SBA’s. I have a couple 1980S in MS67 that are as nice as my other MS68’s.

Cointime; I did not even notice the “none graded any higher!” statement in the auction and I own a MS68 1979S SBA. I don’t know if this had anything to do with the bidding or not. There were 5 bidders over the $200 mark; did none of them know that it was not a TOP POP? HHHMMMM??????

The coins obverse does look fairly clean of marks, but with a little toning. It is always hard to judge from a picture if the coin is good for the grade or not.

The Reverse is not shown in the auction and this is what I was most interested in
    Dabigkahuna; the “Full Talon” designation is my own. After searching many SBA’s I realized that many are poorly struck and do not have fully defined talons on the reverse eagle. As with most series it is particularly difficult to find a well struck coin which is also in top condition. I have therefore been collecting “Full Talon” coins for several years now and all of my coins fit this designation (although a couple are borderline).

A FT SBA should have 6 clearly defined talons which do not blur together at any point. While it is my designation, I would guess that sometime in the future it will be the standard for SBA collectors.

A really well struck “Full Talon” MS67 SBA$ can actually be a really nice looking coin. Particularly if you only look at the reverse!

My Ebay items
  • Well....is this really a fluke now? SBA'a that closed yesterday on ebay and the bids:

1979-S PCGS MS67 $280 (perhaps Mitch's theory is wrong with 2 going for under $200)
    1979-D PCGS MS67 $280
    1980-P PCGS MS67 $338.33
    1980-D PCGS MS67 $316.79
    1981-P PCGS MS66 $172.50
    1981-D PCGS MS67 $515

Look like strong prices to me. Perhaps this IS a sign of things to come for the series.
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
    "1979-S PCGS MS67 $280 (perhaps Mitch's theory is wrong with 2 going for under $200)"

MFS: If I am wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, or the last - BUT, keep in mind this thread started with the announcement of a $312 sale of the 79(s). Now, you report the next coin just sold for $280 (11% drop on this coin alone). Not terribly surprising considering there was an underbidder on coin #1 at around $300+ who just had the opportunity to pluck one off at $280. So, now we are discussing the "strong" level of $280 while 2 weeks ago the "strong" level was $312.

Yes, I agree those are still strong prices, but, I personally think the jury is still out on whether the 79(s) can sustain a $250+ level. We'll see image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    EBAY # 220508210 - WELL, THAT WAS FAST - NOW A SALE OF THE 79(s) AT $228.50!!!!

Hey, sometimes I am right too you know image

WONDERCOIN
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DRG,

I still think that without the Registry, this coin is about a $150-$175.00 coin tops. A few collectors building a top set $200-$225.00 I still think the seller misrepresented the coin in your link as top pop and caused a little heated bidding, that's all. JMO image Someday when I sell mine, I hope it goes big image

I still understand your 1st point that maybe this is a possible trend upward. But if I did not have to have one for my type set, I probably would not buy one. The series reminds me of the Franklins, not too many people really like the coin....AKA it doesn't grab me image

Ken

p.s. almost forgot....Mitch, show off! image
    Ken: Good points. And, also do not forget - this is roughly a $15-$18 coin in MS66. I have HUNDREDS of MS66+ SBA's I have not even bothered to submit because the MS66 slab is a "loser" when one considers the grading fee, cost of coin and cost of selling off the MS66's. If and when the MS67 prices on the 79(s) ever do stabilize at $300+, it will likely result in significant submissions and more MS67 coins as the "numbers" begin to make submitting the MS66+/shot MS67 coins more interesting - if you make even 1 or 2 out of 20 coins, you then can see a potential profit on the submission batch. Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
  • Well, I do not disagree with any one here. I have been selling these for $125-$175 for a couple years now. I was just pointing out the jump in price and seeing what you all thought about it.

I would like to see these prices continue, and I will not be very surprised if they do. The Registry is here! And people want the TOP POP coins (the 1979S MS67 is not one, but close).

The TOP POP's on these coins do seem to be stabilizing. I am having more and more trouble finding TOP quality raw coins.

I also have many MS66 raw SBA$'s and it has recently become profitable to grade them. I have nearly sold out of PCGS MS66 SBA$'s out of my EBay store at the $30-$60 level, with most of them selling in the last month.

• Lets not forget the 1979-P in PCGS MS67 that sold for something like $550 in the same sellers auctions....
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
  • I trust the Seller notified the Winning Bidder and explained is was not a Pop Top and offered to negate the auction if the Bidder was possibly mis-lead. Just because several bid big $$, that's no proof that this didn't influence bidding.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • tgilliams; I do not know the seller or buyer of the original auction. I have not heard any one here say that they know either of them either, so we may never know if the incorrect TOP POP billing had anything to do with that sale, or what became of it.

It does seem to me that most people collecting SBA's would know what the POP's are. It is a very short series. I could be wrong. I know not to expect too much from people.
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I bid on the one 79S...until I realized I already had one. image

Whoops.

-KHayse
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.

I also have many MS66 raw SBA$'s and it has recently become profitable to grade them. I have nearly sold out of PCGS MS66 SBA$'s out of my EBay store at the $30-$60 level, with most of them selling in the last month. >>

Many are going to get a big surprise when the undergrades don't "come out of the woodwork" either.

There are not a lot of raw coins that haven't been cherried yet. In a few years people may be clamoring
    for MS-63's for some of these coins.
    Tempus fugit.