Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is the 1971 Barratt UK Cassius Clay (Ali) his RC?

Does anyone know if the 1971 Barratt UK card Ali's RC? He boxed in the 60's and I figured he would have had another card before 1971.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    I believe there may be some "off the cuff" type of issues out there, but this is generally accepted as his first mainstream card in my opinion as it is for Nickalus from the same set.

Just my $.02
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    There are Panini's of Cassius Clay. I think his first Panini card is 1964.
    Collecting Vintage Boxing Cards
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Not sure but I think he had some early 60's exibit cards. I chose the Barratt card as his rookie for my master set because it is the most mainstream, and considered by many as his RC.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Here is one from 1962 graded by SGC:

Auction Link

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked in the SMR and was amazed that the 1971 Barratt Cassius Clay is only $1250 in PSA 9. Even though there are 61 PSA 9, it is his first official "card" and Ali is one of the most popular athletes in the world. I might try to get the Clay and Nicklaus from the set.
    Mike
  • Options
    I believe there has been some controversy over the 1971 Barrett cards but I can't quite remember what it is. Actually printed past 71, reprinted at a later date,....... but anyways there are a ton of them out there. Anyone else have any information. About a year and a half ago I was going to collect the big names in PSA 8 until I started hearing these rumors. I think the only one I ended up purchasing was Pele.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Butcher,
    That would explain it. I have noticed quite a few raw on ebay, especially on Ebay UK. I wonder if there is a Star Co. Basketball issue here.
    Mike
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    It all depends on your take on the Rookie Card debate. There are certainly earlier and scarcer cards/issues of Ali than the 1971 Barratt, including the extremely tough Panini cards and stickers starting in 1966, and several other magazine type cut outs. For my money (and I have spent a ton) the 1966 Panini card in PSA graded form is THE card to buy of Muhammad Ali. I do own several of the 1971 Barratt, in PSA 8 and PSA 9, which I am looking to sell, and many of the 1983 Topps Olympians Cassius Clay in PSA 8 and PSA 9, which may end up being tougher than the 1971 Barratt in the long run. Anyone looking to buy or sell ALi cards of any vintage please contact me at gregmo32@aol.com . Thanks...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Gregmo, I seem to remember seeing a 1964 Panini of Ali. The guy to ask would be Dr. Panini on Ebay. This guy seems to have multiples of every Panini card available and in high grade also.
  • Options
    The first Panini non-soccer set, "Campioni Dello Sport" was printed in 1966 and has Cassius Clays first Panini card (and his true RC, in my opinion).

The 1964 card you are probably confusing with the Clay card is the 1964 Panini Pele (also Pele's true RC, in my opinion). DrPANINI just sold a 64 Panini Pele on eBay for $56, ungraded, and it looked to be in NRMT condition. How could he let this card go for $56????

Where does this drpanini guy find these cards? :-)
    Yours truly,

NINESnTENS

NINESnTENS: Specializing in Panini mint-gem mint quality sportscards/stickers. The largest Panini inventory anywhere. If we can't get it, it doesn't exist.