Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1953-S Full Step Jefferson!

It is only $10,000! Will registry fever sell this coin at this price? My vote is not likely.

1953-S Full Step

Mark
Mark

Comments

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    At this point in time it seems excessive. It is a pop 9 with zero above, now if it were a MS65FS, it may be a bit low? ... but there are still a lot of rolls out there to go throughimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus I still have my 10 unopened obw rolls of 1953-S nickels that will not be opened until 2053 (my 100th birthday presen to myself!).

Hopefully, I will still be able to see let alone still be upright!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Plus I still have my 10 unopened obw rolls of 1953-S nickels that will not be opened until 2053 (my 100th birthday presen to myself!).

If I am lucky enough to make one or two of these, I'll before you open your rollsimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    I hope to find one for a more realistic price.

A better photo would be nice. The lint really distracts from the plastic at that price.

Bob
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I think given the right resources and time I could produce a 64fs...but its not something that could be done overnight...I went thru 1 roll and clipped a 53-d65fs,...but the S issues are tough..

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I saw the coin at their table at FUN, and the steps are there (which can't be said for some of the high priced Jeffs in the auctions). Also the coin looks much better in person, but I agree $10k is too much. -mark-
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    If they had started their auction price @ $5000, they may have sold it. $10,000? Trying to sell a 64 for the value of a 65 won't cut it.

We may see it back up if they really want to sell it---and with a lower start price.
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either this is one sad picture or some consideration needs to be given to adding other portions to the reverse of Monticello for grading purposes... Sorry for being blunt and candid, but someone has to call it the way it is once in a while. $10,000 for that coin? Not bloody likely.

BTW, I am quite aware how rare a Full Step 53-s is and imho, there is more to the reverse than just steps.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    I agree about the reverse. I have seen a MS-65 FS example in an ANACS holder (on ebay for 25,000) that had a very nice reverse. My wife would not let me sell the house for it.

Mark
    Mark