Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Oldest Original Pack you Still Own?

Seeing the thread on the Registry forum about the first pack you remember opening inspired me to start this thread. What's the oldest pack you bought in the year of issue that you didn't open and still own? In my case, I unfortunately opened all of the older packs I bought as a kid. The oldest pack I kept was a 1986 Topps pack.

Further along those lines, what's the oldest pack you own that you bought at a later date? Mine is a 1951 Red Back pack followed by a 1959 cello.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Bought as a kid and didn't open? I barely made it out of the store before I was ripping them open.
    Oldest I have? '51 Redback, followed by a '59 Fleer, '60 Topps and Leaf packs.
    '60's packs don't seem that tough, it's the 50's (with the exception of '51 RB) that are really tough.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I still had some 1981 Topps rack packs from back then, with minor stars showing (Ozzie Smith, Rose RB card, Fisk). They did not survive my renewed interest in collecting last spring, and I ripped them open. Funny thing, those above three mentioned cards only graded PSA 8's, despite coming straight from the racks.
  • Options
    I have some 1982 Donruss packs I bought in 1982. The oldest I have is 1951 Redback followed by 1971 OPC.
  • Options
    I'm in Griffin's camp. No pack I ever bought as a kid survived the trip home intact. I do however have dozens of packs from 1972 through 1976, including two whole boxes of 1975 minis. From 1977 through 1981 I have everything from rack packs to whole boxes of stuff, but nothing after 1981 because after 1981 why bother?
  • Options
    I don't have any packs from when i was a kid, Those have all been busted or sold long ago.

The oldest pack i own is a 1968 Topps Football wax pack.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    The only unopened pack I own is a 1987 Topps cello with Eric Davis on the top, and Strawberry on the bottom. I purchased it in 1987. All other packs are opened immediately.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    I have a test issue box of 1968 Fleer 3D Plastic Baseball Trophy cards. There is 24 packs per box. They would have sold
    for .10 cents each. I had purchased this box on eBay a while back. I don't think I have any of the packs that I bought
    as a kid anymore. They all got opened.